Tm Customs

Any tips on tying jigs w/ rabbit and fox

I usally catch lots of smallmouth every summer with a 1/16oz jig with a 2/0hook. I tie either artic fox hair or rabbit strips and use a small plastic trailer this usally works well with a very slow fall, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for improvement on this rig before I tie a few to get redy for the weekend.

Thanks, Tm

I usualy tie a crawdad looking rig using a med. brown bunny strip.

I wrap the thread up and down the hook 2-3 times to give a good base then tie in the the bunny hair then wrap the thread back down the hook to 1/4" from the bend, then put Zap-A-Gap on the part of the hook covered with thread, then wrap the hair down the hook, keeping the hide down and the hair out of the gule slightly overlaping the hide . at the bottom I try to end it on the side of the jig. tie that off and cut it leaving about 1" of the srtip hanging(to form 1 pincher), then cut another piece of hair 1-1/4 long and tie it in on the other side of the hook glue it and tie off , trim both pinchers the same length and there it is. I hope this makes since

If not drop me an e-mail I'll try to explain better and maybe get a picture or 2

TIEFLYS4U at Yahoo

Tm, hair jigs are some of my favorite lures, and I've tied them with all kinds of hairs & in many colors. The rabbit strips & fox is some of the best. I also use deer tail, squirrel, skunk, coyote & craft hair.

It's been my experience that hair jigs work best if you keep them relatively simple. Basic black, or browns are what I use most, but I carry a variety of colors & combinations. I tie craw patterns with two rabbit strip "claws" or trailers, but don't feel that they always work better than those tied with a single strip. The two strip jigs do have more bulk & action, so they do have a use. I tie some jigs with the rabbit strip trailer, and some without, and also use the plastic trailers on those without.

I tie some hair jigs with two tone colors, top & bottom, and the light color is often tied on top. The idea is that most baitfish, or craws have a dark back & light belly. Craws that tumble along the bottom, are easier prey than those that hold on to the bottom, so these are tied upside down. This will also work for injured baitfish. However, this is just a theory, and although it works, tying them the other way works too. Sometimes those tied one way or the other will work better on a particular day, so having a little variety never hurts. 2/0 or 3/0 are my prefered hook size, and I use Mustad Black Nickel Ultra Points.

I wanted to know if anyone had detailed instructions on how to tie this type of jig, would prefer it with pictures. I've recently began tying these style jigs and haven't enjoyed the success I would like. A link or information would be great.

043299.JPG

The jig on the left is a jig I tied, the jig on the right is store bought.

Jim:

I use cross cut rabbit hide. I just simply wrapped the hide laying the material favoring the bend of the hook, if that makes sense. I've just heard that there are different ways to tie these types of jigs and just wanted to get someone with experience opinion.

I am thinking of upgrading thread to kevlar, not sure yet though. Never used the stuff and I'm always leary of using new products.

Alot of the advice I have gotten so far for this is...K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple and Stupid)

mkoloch, The K.I.S.S. advice is the best you'll get.

The cross-cut rabbit is great stuff, but you can also use regular cut rabbit strips. The hair will just flair out more on the jig.

Since the hair on a rabbit hide is not all the same, you'll get some strips with shorter or thinner hair, which will make a difference in your jigs. Whenever I buy rabbit strips, or if I cut my own, I try to be selective of what I use for various size jigs.

I also use a lot of fox tail & coyote tails, both make good hair jigs. Coyote & red fox tails have longer hair than Arctic Fox, and because of the natural black markings in the hair, I prefer them for brown hair jigs.

Arctic Fox is good too, but it's easy to over dress a jig with it because the hair is so dense.

As far as Kevlar thread, I've used it, and never liked the stuff. It's too stiff & doesn't lay down well, especially on small stuff, it's also expensive. I've used it on big 5/0 Shark & Barracuda Flies, but went back to Danville flat waxed nylon thread, and an epoxy coating. Kevlar is tough stuff, and will out last the other materials, but for the cost difference & ease of use, Danville flat waxed nylon is my choice for tying thread. I also use the Danville Depth Ray Nylon threads, which is the same as the flat waxed nylon, but in fluorescent colors & no wax.

I would pass on the Kevlar thread also it is prone to cutting through your material if you tighten done too much. I have also sliced a finger pretty bad using it.

You may want to try a combination of rabbit strips also.

Use a regular cut strip tie in with skin side down with a short

tag at the bend, fold the strip back out of the way. wrap thread

forward. Tie in short strip of cross-cut, lay down standard strip

wrap thread a couple times then wrap your cross cut like you

have been and tie off.

Then it is easy to make several different color combinations

just be careful not to leve too long a tag behind the bend as

it can foul the hook.

Have you tied any of these using marabou?

Robert

I usally catch lots of smallmouth every summer with a 1/16oz jig with a 2/0hook. I tie either artic fox hair or rabbit strips and use a small plastic trailer this usally works well with a very slow fall' date=' I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for improvement on this rig before I tie a few to get redy for the weekend.

Thanks, Tm[/quote']

Well there is a new way to make jigs , now, and a new way to fish them they are drop shot jigs made from the Stand Out hook, a head or weight can be placed between the two hook eyes, (threaded seprately on the line, so you can even change out the weight and the heads ) and the jig fished liek a drop shot you can keep the jig a set distance from the bottom ,and even work the jig in one place, by using a drop shot lead under the hook on a leader, this allows you to fish very small jigs in deep water using a heavy weight below the Stand Out hook. I have caught many fish using rough looking home made jigs off these hooks. It is a whole new way to jig fish, if you state allows you can even use more than one jig at a time this way.

Just look at the hook and let your emagination go wild, I have even attached a swinging interchangable weight to the bottom hook eye. The "leg" let's you keep everything on tight, even after you've caught many fish on it

Ya'll want to come up with original stuff, well your getting the first chance to do so

for more information about these hooks you can check them out at my web site, and buy them (if they are not sold out when you order) from Bass Pro shops, or Cabala's, these do sell out Quickly from these stores, TTI is making them as fast as they can, as they just went on the market Jan. 2, but they are having a time keeping up with the orders

http://ezknot.com/SUHooks.html