Thinman13

Stencil Material

Ok, I went to hobby lobby a few weeks ago and bought some thin plastic sheeting just like the kind that your teachers used in school on the overhead projectors.

now I am wondering whether this stuff is a good candidate for forming to a bait and using it as a stencil. It is really easy to cut and it is really flexible. 

Opinions or advice is welcome.

Thanks,

B.

i bought stencil material from Hobby Lobby two weeks ago. It was advertised to be used for making quilt stencils. It is thicker than overhead projector sheets but cuts easily with scissors and an exacto knife. I havent tried to heat it and vaccum form it, but I will give it a go in the interest of "Science."

Let us know how that works I am thinking of making a new vacuum former out of a metal popcorn can and trying to make a craw stencil.  I will try and make a video sometime when I get this built because I have vacuum formed before but not just one sided like most guys seem to do.  I have done the whole bait at once.

I use any blister packaging, it will vacuum form too.  I just tend to use the flat portions.  Best part, it's free!

That sounds like me. I don't vacuum form anything, but I do cut stencils from anything that I find for free.  I have used blister packaging, hand soap containers (from work, they are soft, semi-clear plastic), milk jugs, soda bottles, and even cardboard.

Should I just take my utility knife with me next time I go to Sam's? :)

Hey Saltshaker! Let us know how that goes for you at Sam's. :lolhuh:

I also use the petg .020 it vacuum forms really well. It is a little tuff to cut but, is worth the effort and they will last a long long time.

rhersh-  they do sag a little, I use the frosted or cloudy jugs, they get clear as you heat, then they start to sag a little. Not as much as seen in the video. It only took a couple times till I figured out how to do it. My 15yr old boy does mine he thinks its cool!

I apologize for the long delay getting back to you guys. My heat gun went AWOL. The stencil material did not do well when the heat was applied. The plastic never sagged, it just wrinkled.

I used the technique demonstrated by Dakota lakes tackle on their YouTube page.