Pickadoll

Best Way To Attach Weights In Resing Casting Mold?

How do everyone attach the weights in the molds before casting?

I have tried to attach it to the through wire but I thought that was a pain in the ass cause I wanted the weights in the very low of the belly and the lower part just behind the middle hook and needed to bend the wire in so many places. And I felt that it was hard to get the lead to stay in the exact same position every time i Casted :/.

I have searched the internet for information about it many times without luck.

I asked Solarfall (Solarbaits) but he said that it is a secret how he do it :)!

I have molded lead in bars. 8mm and 10mm thick. How do I attach it to the resin-mold easy and perfect everytime?

Hi Pickadoll,

I'm new to making swimbaits and also find this stage tedious and frustrating. I've done it 2 different ways and and working on a 3rd, one with very thin wire (not accurate but can work) and one with thin stainless steel rods that can be pulled out once you resin hardens. Can  you post a picture of your mold? This would help tremendously. 

• Like 1

I've tried a similar method to paustin1982 before.  However, things don't always stay where you want them with a rtv mold.  Sad to say, a ballast being a little off tends to lead to a useless bait.  I normally have a mark or an "x" on the master to show where to drill for the ballast weight on the lure.  With my crankbaits, I molded modeling clay around the tail of the lure and formed it into a block.  This allows me to slip a crankbait into the clay formation and get a perfect drill hole angle every time into the lure.  It works much better than eye-balling and is worth the time (to me) to produce. 

Thanks for all the answers and sorry for my late answer :)!

This is how I have tried to do this: First I attached the lead on the through wire and used epoxy so I will stay in its position. This method is crap if you ask me!

Then I made 4 thin wire rods that I attached the lead on and just before the resin had hardened i pulled them out.
In that method the lead always stayed in the same position. But I always got 4 small holes in the lure.
That worked pretty good but theres got to be a better way!? I also have skin texture everywhere except the head so I dont want to get holes and stuff :/.

On my next modell I will carve the master without skin texture and maybe drill holes for the lead. The classic way :)!