Tm Customs

Helping a newbie with paint and lips

Its been a year or so since I made any hard baits the ones I made were crap compared to most of yours. I made only topwaters with brush paint. Now I see your cranks and want to make some of my own. What do you guys carve the bodies out of blocks? How do you decide the position of the lip to make sure your baits will run true? I also wondered about an airbrush where can I pick up a cheap one for a beginer, and how much do they cost? I've been doing so much, platics, jigs, molds. I feel obligated to make some hard baits too.

Thanks, Tm

I only make a few myself, and here is what I do:

Go to Lowe's and buy a strip of poplar wood - this stuff is soft enough to deal with yet holds hook anchors well with epoxy reinforcement.

For paint, I use Createx acrylics. Many art supply stores now sell it, though most selections are limited. I base coat with Krylon white semi-gloss, and the airbrush paints do well with it - just be careful not to scratch the paint! I use c'tex because you don't have to thin it with chemicals, just put in the brush and spray away.

For lips, use lexan...I believe .080 is the thinest you can get away with for bass - consult others on it. For placement, try doing a slight variation of a lure you are succesful with and don't change the angle all too much. take a look in the bass pro shops catalog and notice the different shapes and angles, then notice the listed diving depth - this will allow you to familiarize yourself with the paterns - there are many out there!

Best of Luck, and I hope some of this will help you!

It's been about 7 days since I started making my own hard baits. I'm working on a 7 1/2" long and 4 1/2 long lures for pike. The 4 1/2" should be sinkers. I've been getting an education on the difference between "jerkbaits" and "crankbaits" but that's mostly clear now.

The simplest way to start would be to use a Dowel Rod made from Pine (definitely not a hardwood). Anyway, I had a woodshop cut an 8' long board for me (It's called a "Five-Quarter" --- 5/4 ) into 7 1/2" long, 1" x 1" sticks. Then I carve them by hand into a cigar shape, with the help of a large Stanley "SurForm" tool and a rasp. It was a little more costly to pay for a new board and the shop cutting, but it sure got me moving right along, and it sure beats paying full price for lures.

Stamina supplied most of my hardware, but some other shops two, so now I just twiddle my thumbs waiting for hardware to arrive. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed bought me a compressor for the airbrush, but my first lures will just be spray painted.

The 4 1/2" are being made of 1" Oak Dowels. Thank God for Dremel!

The first seven are sanded and are getting their first coatings of Urethane Marine Spar Varnish. That's going well. It has been quite a pleasure carving and working this wood by hand. I've never been much of a carpenter but....it's going well. :D

Put the nail in a piece of scrap wood like a 2x4. Then cut the head off the nail with wire cutters and twist the hook hangers and line ties around the nail, pull them off and trim to the lenght you want. Drill small holes in the lure and place the hook hangers and line tie in with devcon 5 min. exp. I work mostly with balsa wood and when I screw up a lure(which happens alot) i have to break the lure apart to get my weight and hangers back. This system will hold.