rookie jig man

Most Durable Finish?

Joe,

Welcome to Tackle Underground and your first post in the Wire Bait section.  Most of the guys that I know and are on this site you powder paint for jigs. If you cure them properly, they will last as long as you don't lose them. I'll take that back they will last as long as you don't keep on hitting and dragging them on the rocks. The paint should wear off before it chips. I glue in my weedguard two ways. If I do not clearcoat the jigs, then I use Loc-Tote Gel Super Glue. If my jigs have eyes and I clear coat the jigs to keep the eyes from falling off, then I use epoxy to set the weedguards. You will get a lot of good info here from a lot of guys with all kinds of ways to accomplish this. There is no right way. Find what works for you.

I know this is not about your question but if you are just getting in, have you looked at the startup costs for lead pot, mold, hooks, paint, toaster oven, weedguard, skirt material ?  You might want to buy some prepainted heads, skirt materials, and weedguards to give this a try before sinking maybe hundreds of dollars into a new hobby?

I know this is not about your question but if you are just getting in, have you looked at the startup costs for lead pot, mold, hooks, paint, toaster oven, weedguard, skirt material ?  You might want to buy some prepainted heads, skirt materials, and weedguards to give this a try before sinking maybe hundreds of dollars into a new hobby?

Amen!

I use powder paint and dip in a fluid bed. Accent colors are added via a powder paint airbrush.

Very durable and the fish and fishermen certainly like them.

Lots of sources of powder paint. Since you are just starting out you might just stick with Protec powders in the small jars.

Once you determine you like it you can buy powders in 1 pound containers from various sources.

It is somewhat expensive to get started if you buy everything new and all at once.

If you can find what you need via Ebay or garage sales etc. it can be done for quite a bit cheaper.

Make sure you know the value of things before buying. I see lots of molds on EBAY listed for more than they cost brand new.

I have found not all suppliers are the same either.

The cheapest source of do it molds I have found is Shark river mail order. I had good results ordering from them.

Barlows is a bit more expensive on molds but has everything else I need so it often times works out when you factor in shipping to get it all from one source. And Barlows always packs things well for me.

Zeiners bass shop is another cheap mold source but I had a bad experience with an order from them so won't use them anymore.

Don't forget to read the lead safety section at the top of the wire baits forum.

Good luck I hope you enjoy it.