HickoryHollow

Painting Spoons

I searched for spoons, and found nothing. Is nobody making them in here? I made about 8 so far, and when putting the split rings in the holes, discovered a real problem. After sitting for almost 30 hours, the primer under them paint was still soft. When I tried to put the split ring in, it peeled back the pant and ruined the finish. Some, I had painted and then clear coated with clear rattle can, and a couple I had coated with fiberglass resin. The fiberglass seemed to be a problem right off the bat, so I stopped doing that. Here is what I am working on.....

(I hope this belongs in the hard bait category, but I couldn't find anything else that fit)

1103130927a

I've painted a few spoons and didn't experience the problem you had, but then I didn't use the same materials or procedure that you used. The spoons were cleaned with acetone followed by a light sanding with 400 grit sandpaper. That was followed by painting with Createx using the same heat setting procedure as that used when painting cranks. When the painting and heat setting were finished they were dipped in DN S81.

I'm not familiar with any of the rattle can primers and don't know if you scuffed the spoons before painting so I really can't say what went wrong.

Ben

@ HickoryHollow

I've been making dozens and dozens of spoons through the years and I still do sometimes , ......tried all kinda finishes on them as well :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/2508-metal-flake-spoons/

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/2497-array-of-spoons/

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/2498-array-of-spoons/

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/2499-array-of-spoons/

As Ben had already stated  , ....you need to buff the spoon surfaces to be painted , really increases paint adhesion , ...also degrease surfaces before painting ,....... with acetone , like Ben said , ..... or mineral spirit works as well .

I even used to sandblast my spoons at work , but sandpaper or o rough wire brush works as well  .

On my own painted spoons I most likely put on white acrylic primer and modelmaking enamels , all brush painted by hand , ...my topcoat is epoxy .

Since a couple of years I had quit using rattlecans to paint my lures after having ruined an entire bunch of timber paits to require paint stripping and repainting , .......some rattlecan paints are just not compatible to other kind of paints , primers or even different brands of rattlecan paints !

Acrylic paints are always better in that way , as they do not contain any solvents to affect previously applied paints .

Regarding the peeling of paint when assembling splitrings , .........this happens to any finish , as the splitring applies a very strong mechanical force to the paint , -and topcoat , ......just like as if you would scrape a knife's point over the spoon surfaces .

But with a bit of concentration and sufficiently sized splitrings you can avoid this :

Open up your ring holding it with splitring pliers and insert the starting end into the spoon's attachement hole from the unpainted underside of the spoon , do this over the outer rim of the spoon holding the ring at about 90° to the spoon .

Utilizing slender pliers you would now twist in the ring just far enough that the rear end of the ring's wire would still bind against the rim of the spoon , naturally the ring is still open that way .

Now grab this wire end with your pliers , kinda pulling it away from the spoon same time twisting the ring in that last bit , keeping the ring at 90° to the spoon all of the time .

This moment of holding it with your pliers is enough to keep the ring's wire end away from the painted surface thus not damaging it , ...........but you ring must be large enough !

Rig hooks or swivels in a second operation to the assembled splitrings , ...this way is the possible best method to save your paint finish .

Good luck , diemai :yay:

Thanks guys,

"some rattlecan paints are just not compatible to other kind of paints , primers or even different brands of rattlecan paints"!

Diemai, I think  you hit it on the head here! I cleaned all the paint off all 8 lures. This time I used only Krylon paint instead of mixing brands. There doesn't seem to be a problem this time. I think in the future, I will go to all a Createx like you said Ben. Seems like the best way to avoid problems.

Thanks again, Tim

I like to paint my jigging spoons and had the same problem of damaging the finish when installing the split rings.  If it wasn't the finish, it was the split ring that got mangled.  It was particularly a problem because I like to fish 3/4 oz jigging spoons that tend to have thicker bodies.  Now I use the same coatings regimen as Ben:  sanding, acrylic paint, DN.  No primer (it's usually too soft and will react badly with DN because it contains solvent).  Using DN as a topcoat helps a lot because it is so tough and slick - so does using larger rings and split ring pliers.  You can also install the rings before you begin painting the spoon and then clean them off after the finish is complete with a Dremel tool and a micro drill bit.

I never liked installing split rings in thick spoons with just holes drilled in the body.  Now I only buy jigging spoons with wire line ties molded into them and the only body-drilled spoons I ever mess with are the large flutter spoons.