mythos

Wavy Clear Coat

How do you guys get rid of the wavy clear coat when applying D2T?  I just started painting plastic lures and most of my lures when applying D2T have a wavy clear coat effect.  It doesn't look smooth when the coat dries.

I don't like it.  One side of the lure would look good, the other side of the lure would look wavy.

After I get off work today, I'll try and post up a picture of a lure I painted that has it.

When I had my rough newby experience with D2t  I figured it was the temperature more than anything else that did me in.

If you're up here in the North and epoxing in an unheated garage,  its not going to spread evenly even with a lure turner.

People have talked about using space heaters and hair dryers.  I just went with another kind of top coat. :)

the other issue with D2t that is always discussed is that the glue needs really well mixed.  on the other hand, I think if the glue is rock hard in a day or so, you can rule that out as an issue.

I'm using the 30 min D2T, and no thinning.  No lure turner, I just flip it every 5-10 mins.  I coat my lures in the living room/kitchen area...so around 70-80° here in CA.  I'm thinking that I might have to start thinning the D2T, since it gets very sticky and becomes hard quick.

I'm not as experinced as some on here, but I have been using the same product for the last couple of years on plastics and with good results. I will have to agree with the ealier post that temp is important . But since you say that is not the issue  ........... I would say you need a turner . I have not tried DT2 without a turner but as quickly as it sets up ,I think a turner is key . There are alot of ideas on how to make them at little costs if you are just doing a few lures at a time . My first was made from a motor from an old christmas decoration and held 4 lures . My current one is from a grill rotissere and will hold 12 . Search this forum or youtube for ideas . I hope this helps . Oh, I have never tried thinning ,but in my case I've never felt I needed to .

For best results you really need a lure turner. And if your mixing enough epoxy to coat one bait then 3 or 4 drops of denatured alcohol will make it easier to apply and help any bubbles to dissipate.

The main thing I see is that your only turning the bait every 5 to 10 minutes. Epoxy is self leveling. That's one of the main reasons to have a lure turner. By waiting 5 to 10 minutes to flip your lures the epoxy has already started the curing process and is starting to get stiff.

Building a lure turner is not hard and can cost little to nothing. I built mine out of scraps, the motor out of an old microwave, a piece of all thread, some eye screws and rubber bands. The only thing I didn't have on hand was the rubber bands. It holds 8 baits and turns at 6 rpm. So for the cost of a bag of rubber bands I built my lure turner.

Ben

• Like 1

Heat up your bait with air dryer before you apply epoxy.  then pull off as much epoxy as possible when your coating..sounds to me like you puttting more epoxy on the bait than you should. 

Try Bob Smith EPOXY.. 20min.. more working time.. thinner mix.. better than Devcon.. Takes longer to dry.. you will have to flip them more without a lure turner..  I don't have a turner... Never have.. never will. 

Good Luck 

Tater 

Edited by Tater Hog
  • Like 1

Tater are your lures finished with epoxy?

Foiled baits are Bob Smith

Rest of my baits are Dick Nites or Por 15.  Depends on how many Im shooting.  

"Clear coat is like fishing line.. I not happy with any of it!  But each has its place depending on how your fishing or painting."

Hmm I think I just came up with a signature quote I will be remembered by. LOL. 

• Like 2

If you really want to make a bait where the paint will stay on it forever...but don't care how pretty it looks.. 

USE SUPER GLUE as your CLEAR COAT! 

Put about 2 or 3 coats of Super Glue and Glitter on a wooden bait.   The glitter and super glue will form a protect coat that is harder and tuffer than any clear you will ever find.  I have a good friend I fish with on Lake Norman that makes his own balsa baits.  He uses Glitter and AC GLUE.  You do it right they don't look too bad.  Heck I even painted up some quickie resin baits for my tackle box with AC Glue and Glitter.  They ugly but still catch fish like crazy!  Guess its the action. 

Tater

Edited by Tater Hog

I will have to invest in making a lure turner.  I'm going to thin d2t and give it a shot again.  I'll do a search for info on Bob Smith Expoxy.

Any chance that any of you guys have a site where I can get Bob Smith Epoxy for a fair price...just in case d2t won't do it for me?

Thanks again guys...TU Family at it's best!!

• Like 1