HickoryHollow

Eureeka! Floating Soft Plastic!

I am psyched! Not only because it worked, but because for once, I think I can offer something of value to the forum! I have been reading about soft plastic not floating very well. I have been working on frogs, and yep, they float, but barely and I haven't rigged them yet. I am sure with the addition of a hook, it would pull them right under. I don't like working with micro balloons, and from everything I read, they don't work that well anyway.

I spent all day playing, experimenting and pouring frogs. I finely hit on something that really did work.

On the shelf, I have thousands of beads from making spinners. Amongst them were some 8mm wooden beads (of course with holes through them. I put a little blob of epoxy over the hole on each end to trap the air inside. I then poured a frog. Just as the plastic got a little thicker, I inserted a bead just behind the shoulder of the frog. It is back far enough to allow for the hook shank and up far enough to allow for the hook through the tail area for a Texas rig.

Between the buoyancy of the wood, and the trapped air bubble, they float really nice. Even when pushed to the bottom of the sink, they pop right back up to the surface. With the addition of the hook, I think it will set the head a little above the tail in just the perfect position.

I think this is going to work out!

Tim

Awesome job.  Do you hand pour or injection poor?

So far, just hand pour....just getting started..

I just notice my Freudian slip.  Hand pouring vs.  injection Pooring.  Seems appropriate though.  injection molds get expensive and addicting! :-)
Edited by Ferree

I came up with a design a couple of years ago for a floating frog that only uses air. Handpoured in an open mold. Will float a 5/0 EWG hook.

Sometimes I'll add a BB in each foot so that the frog actually sits like a natural frog would with it's legs under the water.

I'll post a pic soon.

Nova,

That's a pretty great looking frog there. Can you give me more information where to find a mold and how it works?

Thanks, Tim

Tim; the mold is POP. I made the master body out of clay and I used BB's for the eyes. I then made a mold of that. After I poured the body I then used what I call french fries(bait) to make the legs and the feet were made of clay. I glued the legs and feet onto the soft plastic body to make the master. Then I made the final POP mold from that. The hollow part is made by an aluminum insert I made in the shape of a flat sided tear drop. This is what makes the bait hollow. It's an open mold.

The pic you see has a black core inside a watermelon/gold outer body.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1