atremblay

Robotic Fishing Lures

Has anyone given any thought to creating a robotic fishing lure?  There are kids toys out there (mostly crap) that look like a fish and swim.  There are other robotic fish that I've seen on youtube that look exactly like fish.  I would love to make something like this...does anyone have any advice?

Here is one of the videos:

Scaling it down to a smaller size might be the only roadblock. I may give it a shot early next year when I finally have everything in place. Pair it with an android app & cam and you could control it from the boat fairly easy. The question is, will it see rule changes like the A-Rig brought about? With modern sonar you could find schooling bass and set this bait out in free swim mode. 

The problem with self-propelled lures are:

1) No control over the retrieve.

2) you need a power source

3) if the body cracks, water will destroy the lure

4) Easy to get snagged, you have no control over where it goes.

5) has the same motion all the time.  You can't jerk and stop or pause it.  It just keeps on going.  lol

therse are just a few.  There

There has been an extensive thread on this topic on a German site , ...if my memory serves me right , some fellas have even mailordered these toys from China , they were not too expensive .

But they won't use them as casting lures , but as a substitute for a living minnow hanging underneath a bobber , since livebait is illegal in almost entire Europe .

Greetz , diemai :yay:

You know Chuck Woolery (yes that CHuck Woolery) was hawking a clockwork topwater bait years ago.  I have two of them hanging on the wall in the shop.  One is still in the original package.  When you gave it a sharp snap it would make a splash and wind the clockwork mechanism by pulling a cord on the front of the bait.  Then it would sit there in one spot flapping its tail until you gave it another twitch.

So... maybe you need to be thinking Tomi rather than Arduino.  LOL. 

I don't think it has a future as a fishing lure, but it could be dynamite as an untethered remote camera!

I totally thought of that idea when I watched the above video... how interesting it would be to have your own personal fish to swim around the lake and see whats down there.

There has been an extensive thread on this topic on a German site , ...if my memory serves me right , some fellas have even mailordered these toys from China , they were not too expensive .

But they won't use them as casting lures , but as a substitute for a living minnow hanging underneath a bobber , since livebait is illegal in almost entire Europe .

Greetz , diemai :yay:

If those are the same ones I have, they are water-activated. I plan on photo finishing them.