Painter1

Football Swing Jig Hooks

The M38104 is the prescribed hook, but I didn't have any and just used some of what I had.  I am interested in finding a light wire hook for rigging a 4.5" centipede.  Any thoughts?

BTW, I also have a problem with my mold that I will be calling Do-It about.  One of the cavities has a flaw that causes lead to leak out on one side.

Painter, sorry to hear about your problem. As far as the hooks go, You can use any hook that fits the wire form. The wire form diameter is .032. Just make sure the inside diameter of the hook eye is bigger than that. What kind of hook are you looking for? Straight shank or offset?

Edited by cadman

Actually, what I really want to find is a bulk version of the Roboworm Rebarb Hook for use on this rig.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Roboworm_Rebarb_Hooks/descpage-RWRBH.html

If anybody knows where to get these in bulk at a reasonable price, I would love to hear it.  I am wondering if there is a similar hook that I can add that "barb" to ??

The M38104 is the prescribed hook, but I didn't have any and just used some of what I had.  I am interested in finding a light wire hook for rigging a 4.5" centipede.  Any thoughts?

BTW, I also have a problem with my mold that I will be calling Do-It about.  One of the cavities has a flaw that causes lead to leak out on one side.

Have a similar issue with the 7/16oz cavity in mine. Have just been trimming the excess so far. Is kind of a pain when it fills the loop.

Have used regular Gamak EWG from 2/0-4/0, the superline EWG, and some cheap-o BPS EWG hooks. The BPS actually work pretty well, considering the price. At Table Rock they are a relatively disposable head anyway.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/WJI450-Wire-Form-P3025.aspx

This is the wire form I ordered when I bought my mold.  I guess it's around the .032" you mentioned, but the wire diameter was not listed.

http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/index.cfm?page=detail&hookid=440&view=1

I used the 2/0 and 3/0 VMC EWG V3716BN worm hook with mine.  I wish every mold poured as easily as this one.  The only problem came with my first dozen pours when I realized I had put the hook on upside down...please insert Homer Simpson "DOOOOAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" 

I was throwing 4" Zoom straight tail worms, 5" lizards, and 6" home made drop shot worms from a Basstackle mold with it my last trip with no issues at all.

I really can't offer much about this mold as I've only just received it less than two weeks ago, but the VMC hooks do take the wire form.  They aren't exactly thin wire hooks, but I have confidence in them after catching 100's of small mouth off of them.

I only pour the 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 oz cavities.  As a river fisher man, I don't need heavier weights under most circumstances.

I do like Mustad as well, but Eagle claw has finally decided to poop or get off the pot.  I think gammies are over priced for the quality in comparison to the lesser priced alternatives...since we're talking a jig that will most likely spend the majority of it's life hung on a rock or submerged tree if you fish it right.

Do-it will replace your mold if you have the one where the 7/16 oz "leaks" around the form.  They are aware of the problem and fixed it on the newer batch.  

I also made some that were backwards (oops) 

I just ordered some hooks from these guys  http://hookerztackle.com/

I think the write up that Smalljaw did on how to fish these with a heavy rod is spot on..Search "swing jig" to find it.  

You do have to watch the upside down issue. Just got back from Table Rock, yesterday. Threw it on a 7' rod and 15# Invizx. Other things worked better for me, but it is hot there for others. That grub Davis fished, or any flappy craw like a paca craw worked. Was the first time I had used it in water below 75 degrees or so. Normally use it as an alternative to a FB jig in the summer.

I don't make enough to worry about the overflow. Will just keep trimming it. Looks like they just cut too much metal out.

The Hookerz folks sent samples out through the forum many years back. Pretty decent hooks.

If you use some shrink tubing to add a punch style keeper to the hook you will like that head even more.