tekoutdoors.co

Does Anyone Know How To Get This Effect?

bbluresbluegill.JPG

I was thinking of trying this but I can only come up with a couple of different ways to try to make this cool scale pattern.  

1st:  Use a dark painted bait with scale masking to get the dark scale pattern and then when I am finished with it cut out a stencils that would match the diamonds and highlight the back side of the diamond with white.

2nd:  Paint the bait white then put on the scale masking and spray the bait angled toward the front to get the white to stay on the back side of the scales.  Not sure if that would work or if anyone else knows what I mean.

I have done scales before but never to this level.

bbluresbluegill.JPG

bbluresbluegill.JPG

bbluresbluegill.JPG

bbluresbluegill.JPG

bbluresbluegill.JPG

bbluresbluegill.JPG

bbluresbluegill.JPG

post-25116-0-32562100-1385359912_thumb.jpg

Your second option will work, just make sure you hold your brush at a consistent angle, it also helps to have a scale material that's a little thicker. Your first option will probably work but you'll have cleaner lines which are harder to fade together. That's a well painted bait, I've done the scales like that but not nearly that close together. Either way you do it I'd bet you have a better chance at it than I do by looking at your sig lol.

Edited by Tree_Fish

I agree with tree_fish.

You could also paint the bait white and "foil" the bait with the design printed on testors film for model car decals. Lots of people use this stuff for photo finishes on here. The printoff in this case would have the scale design with higlights and shading over background colors. Make one and then copy paste to make 4 or 5 scales... copy paste make 20.... copy paste 100. You get the idea.

Just from the look of that bait though I'm gonna guess its sprayed with a net over it at the angle described.

Painting that with an airbrush would be doable but tough. Worth a shot though to start..... Maybe you could make the netting thicker, as has been said before, on your own to make it easier. Looks like a shower scrubber to me. Maybe dip or brush epoxy on it to make it thicker... multiple coats of airbrush paint on the netting..... idk. Trial and error. Cool looking bluegill though.

Good luck.

Edited by CarverGLX

One more. Paint bait black. Use netting and paint bait white. Dry while
in netting. Slightly shift netting everywhere evenly (seems hard to do)
forward slightly. Half of netting on black and half on white. Paint rest
of bait through netting.

The thickened netting and angle spraying seems like the best option to me without trying it though.

As a guess to make thicker netting:

Stretch netting in a hoop (sewing hoop) and brush on Etex or some thin epoxy.

Put on  a turner like you would a bait.

Edited by CarverGLX

Teko .....patience and a helluva lot practice....initially I agreed with Thinman13...i've pulled that type of scaling stretching a little tighter...but not nearly as artistic....leaning towards nedyarb...looks like a photo finish.. or a great job of feathering an' leaving a pretty consistent reveal on the base coat...........all this rambling....bottom line is "Great artistic paint"!!! Bad Boy caliber.......surfk9

Thanks for the suggestions guys I will try a few different options if the angle spray one does not work.  I used to have time to paint every night now I have small kids and no time.  If I figure it out I will post how I did it one here.  His work is what got me into this and then I found this site and it got me even more excited with all the cool things you can do with baits.  Now to find the time...

I think the scales are photo finished, and everything else is painted with transparent paints. Great looking lure though!

No photo finishing on this lure. It was done by BB Lures. The dude is not an artist, but, he certainly has the imagination of one. Lot's of time spent on his lures. They're as good as I've ever seen.

I have another guess! The scale pattern is very unique, so I'm thinking he made a small press out of metal that he pushes into the lure to make each individual scale, he may cover the lure with aluminum to have something to leave a pattern on the lure. Then spay it at an angle?

Edited by nedyarb

look at the way solorfall makes his scales theres a video on utube that shows a 3d effect that he uses you can use that uses a stencle for the scales just hi-light the edge with whatever color you want and use a darker color for the scales main color so it will look like 1 scale is tucked under the one in front of it

I'm thinking it's done like Crankpaint suggested and the same as the way Tek has in his avatar. The overlapping scales just aren't full circles. Looks like black, or something dark, base coat with the scales shot with white paint. The different colors covering the white scales would be shot with transparent paint allowing the scales to show through.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I'm thinking it's done like Crankpaint suggested and the same as the way Tek has in his avatar. The overlapping scales just aren't full circles. Looks like black, or something dark, base coat with the scales shot with white paint. The different colors covering the white scales would be shot with transparent paint allowing the scales to show through.

Ben

I think you're right.

Might have figured it out!  This morning I was in my Dad's shop and walked past a roll of aluminum gutter guard material. It is basically a 6" wide roll of aluminum expanded metal.  It is easily cut with good scissors and shaped to the lure.  It has the depth and integrity to provide the distinct pattern and thickness for the angled painting allowing for the white'ish back of the scale to remain and still maintain the crisp pattern.  I haven't tried it yet but feel it might be the answer.  If you understand what I am talking about it is expanded metal but not flattened.  Easily cut with scissors being aluminum you can shape it by hand and it retains it's shape.  You can make two sides and clip them together clam-shelling the bait and start painting.  It's directional but we can figure it out.

• Like 1

Might have figured it out!  This morning I was in my Dad's shop and walked past a roll of aluminum gutter guard material. It is basically a 6" wide roll of aluminum expanded metal.  It is easily cut with good scissors and shaped to the lure.  It has the depth and integrity to provide the distinct pattern and thickness for the angled painting allowing for the white'ish back of the scale to remain and still maintain the crisp pattern.  I haven't tried it yet but feel it might be the answer.  If you understand what I am talking about it is expanded metal but not flattened.  Easily cut with scissors being aluminum you can shape it by hand and it retains it's shape.  You can make two sides and clip them together clam-shelling the bait and start painting.  It's directional but we can figure it out.

I thought about something like this. I had some copper mesh but I was worried it would scratch up the finish....Good call!