tekoutdoors.co

Does Anyone Know How To Get This Effect?

No problem with the mesh scratching the paint,  What looks like a mark in the pic above is a reflection from an overhead flour. light.  The flat aluminum mesh is a little tougher with the compound bends.  The top of the mesh is where I folded it over and hammered it between steel plates.  Then I sprung it open and slipped the 2.5 in there and started forming it around the lure trying to get zero clearance.  Too much curve near gill plate wanted to lift the grid off the bait right behind the gills so I did a couple small folds at the side of the head by pinching the material together with needle nose pliers,  then I hammered a small bulge lightly with the side of the pliers to get it to fit very closely to the bait.  Trimmed around bottom with heavy scissors.  Once I had the entire scale area of the bait painted with dark moss green, I heat cured it (Createx) and sprung the cage open and slipped it in easily.  Clamped the cage with vise grips and locking forceps.  Then is was easy.  Lots of color changes but bait in a cage you can set down anywhere.  Haha.

As for the loofah I just don't know.  Can't visualize it yet,  My loofah is 3 inches round and 10 inches long.

Still I can't stop looking at the BB Lures bait.  It is so precise......wow!  My bait is course compared to that.

I have no doubt it is some sort of lufa. Something a little thicker but still would flex. If you look at the belly of his baits, it uniformly scrunches in. I was messing around on some cardboard with some shower lufa stretch across. Prayed black base,covered with lufa,sprayed white head on then sprayed some sepia and pink at angle under low pressure making sure I maintained the angle as best I could. He has got his setup down and is very talented with an airbrush. His stripes are painted after the scale mask is removed creating another dimension to his baits. I'm an extreme rookie at this-just my 2 cents :-)

practice.jpg

practice.jpg

practice.jpg

practice.jpg

practice.jpg

practice.jpg

practice.jpg

practice.jpg

post-45420-0-71254600-1387243323_thumb.jpg

The temp finally got up to 40 in the Midwest so I did some experimenting today. I am fairly sure he painted it with a shower loofa. I pretty much achieved the same scale pattern by using a sewing hoop and stretching it into the proper shape. I was not able to get the white built up on the back of the scale like the original painter did. But I think I'm on the right track. Here's a couple pics for now, my first attempt has been dipped in gst and I will take a pic later. I also believe the lure has to be slick ( no scales) the first one I painted was a ok and had scales, which really detracted from my painted scales. A98ABFDF-F361-466B-AB99-09A4DE6EBABC.jpg

If you take a piece of the loofah and put it in real hot water....not boiling it can melt the loofah....and let the loofah get hot it will shrink. Pat dry and put the loofah in a book to make it flat and take out wrinkles. Then when you put it around the bait it will not slide as much and the pattern will be tighter like the lure you are trying to copy. You can also wrap the loofah around a pop sickle stick to get the loofah a lot tighter. Just a thought

This is my crack at it. I think if the proper preparations are done a really nice job can be accomplished . I struggled with the lufa and putting the paint where I wanted it to go. To scared to try some stripes or more detail..lol. I'm sure it would look better with some thick epoxy. Just dipped in GST in the pics.I need to paint alot more before trying this again.I still make stupid mistakes that ruin the whole look of the bait.Have alot to learn.I got time so I'll keep plugging along.

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

tu3.jpg

tu2.jpg

tu1.jpg

post-45420-0-35073800-1387344992_thumb.jpg

post-45420-0-20635100-1387345010_thumb.jpg

post-45420-0-39711200-1387345025_thumb.jpg

This is my crack at it. I think if the proper preparations are done a really nice job can be accomplished . I struggled with the lufa and putting the paint where I wanted it to go. To scared to try some stripes or more detail..lol. I'm sure it would look better with some thick epoxy. Just dipped in GST in the pics.I need to paint alot more before trying this again.I still make stupid mistakes that ruin the whole look of the bait.Have alot to learn.I got time so I'll keep plugging along.

Don't beat yourself up brother, that's a darn good looking bait right there! In fact if ya wanna send it to me I'll "test" it for ya!

Edited by Tree_Fish

Just had an idea, what if you masked the scale while you still had it on the blank? You'd just need a row of crescent shapes cut out of stencil material, move on down the blank with whatever highlight you choose just like you would using the half circle stencil. Or spray the highlights first in rows then adjust your scale to match and shoot transparent enough to see the highlight? I won't be able to get any painting in til next week or I'd try it!

Edited by Tree_Fish

If you take a piece of the loofah and put it in real hot water....not boiling it can melt the loofah....and let the loofah get hot it will shrink. Pat dry and put the loofah in a book to make it flat and take out wrinkles. Then when you put it around the bait it will not slide as much and the pattern will be tighter like the lure you are trying to copy. You can also wrap the loofah around a pop sickle stick to get the loofah a lot tighter. Just a thought

Could you do the same thing with a hair dryer?