tekoutdoors.co

Does Anyone Know How To Get This Effect?

I see leafsout http://www.leafsout.com/mesh.html has some of this aluminum mesh but I just wonder if it would scratch the paint.  I will see if I can get some small strips of it and I told the wife to get me a gallon of that gst at menards.  I will get to painting this week finally and try a few things to see if I can get that effect and post them in the gallery.  

They actually have sample packs of their mesh on ebay.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMPLE-Mesh-DIY-Rain-Gutter-Guard-Leaf-Filter-Screen-Covers-Easy-to-install-/170997697652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d041cc74 for $3.00 total.  It looks like barrybait may of figured out the puzzle!  Thanks!!!

Here is my first trial at this pattern with the gutter guard mesh.  It is unfinished, I didn't do the gill plate, just wanted to see if it would work.  Tried on a spare 1.5 squarebill which had some texture which made it a little more challenging also but I am still encouraged with the results.  Oh yeah, haven't clearcoated either so this is a rough unfinished trial.  Now if I only had some airbrush talent and if I am able to get the pic on here it will be good...

Trying again. DSC00113.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

post-44587-0-52503500-1386982680_thumb.jpg

Edited by barrybait

Here is my first trial at this pattern with the gutter guard mesh.  It is unfinished, I didn't do the gill plate, just wanted to see if it would work.  Tried on a spare 1.5 squarebill which had some texture which made it a little more challenging also but I am still encouraged with the results.  Oh yeah, haven't clearcoated either so this is a rough unfinished trial.  Now if I only had some airbrush talent and if I am able to get the pic on here it will be good...attachicon.gifDSC00113.JPG

Trying again. attachicon.gifDSC00113.JPG

Looks cool!

Thanks Moose.  I finished out the bait and it looks good.  Not as distinct or accurate as the target bait but I think we are very warm as far a figuring out how "to get this effect". A little different material and probably a lot more talent with the airbrush but we are closing in.  I first painted the bait dark moss green.  I heat cured the paint for durability then I clamped my two aluminum grid shells around the bait with alligator clips.  Then I shot the white. Got carried away and nearly eliminated the dark fine edges I wanted to maintain. Then angled the brush with the purple, blue, and then the moss green over a comb.  Other touch up stuff but you get the idea.  My wife found some other grid which is much finer and a little flatter may be even better. It was in my shop! Go figure.

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

post-44587-0-72976800-1386997028_thumb.jpg

Thanks Moose.  I finished out the bait and it looks good.  Not as distinct or accurate as the target bait but I think we are very warm as far a figuring out how "to get this effect". A little different material and probably a lot more talent with the airbrush but we are closing in.  I first painted the bait dark moss green.  I heat cured the paint for durability then I clamped my two aluminum grid shells around the bait with alligator clips.  Then I shot the white. Got carried away and nearly eliminated the dark fine edges I wanted to maintain. Then angled the brush with the purple, blue, and then the moss green over a comb.  Other touch up stuff but you get the idea.  My wife found some other grid which is much finer and a little flatter may be even better. It was in my shop! Go figure.

Look's great! and thanks for splaining how you did it. Guy's like me need all the help we can get. :nuhuh:

Might have figured it out! This morning I was in my Dad's shop and walked past a roll of aluminum gutter guard material. It is basically a 6" wide roll of aluminum expanded metal. It is easily cut with good scissors and shaped to the lure. It has the depth and integrity to provide the distinct pattern and thickness for the angled painting allowing for the white'ish back of the scale to remain and still maintain the crisp pattern. I haven't tried it yet but feel it might be the answer. If you understand what I am talking about it is expanded metal but not flattened. Easily cut with scissors being aluminum you can shape it by hand and it retains it's shape. You can make two sides and clip them together clam-shelling the bait and start painting. It's directional but we can figure it out.

May have found "the one". Thx for the lead. We could figure out anything on here.

http://www.nilesexpandedmetals.com/nem/micro-mesh.asp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-22736-0-58539100-1387033691_thumb.jpg

Edited by CarverGLX

Carver, that sure looks like the pattern. Good job. Now, if you can just Google up the talent and imagination that it took to use that thing.............................  :)

No doubt. Whoever the guy is that came up with this method should definitely get the credit. I am constantly amazed at some of the talent on here. Wonderful site. Get many different versions of building the same mousetrap on this forum.

I took a look at the micro mesh and the chart you linked to said the largest opening in their mesh was .079". That's only .0165 thousandths of an inch bigger than 1/16". That ain't much. You might want to rethink before ordering any of that particular mesh unless they have something with a larger opening.

Solarfall uses an aluminum mesh to form scales in his foil. He shows it on one of his videos in the Hard Bait How To section. It seems to be approximately the right size for what your wanting. I looked at a bunch of different web sites trying to find something similar here in the states and didn't come up with anything. The only place I found it was in Europe and it was quite pricey by the rime you got it delivered to your door.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I have come across similar in decorative aluminum mesh when looking to build a pie safe several years ago.

You also can get it in PTFE extruded stuff that is also very similar.  Some brands of  mesh on humidifier refill cartridges has a very similar pattern also.  I messed around with trying to get similar effect (but not near as uniform as the bait pictured) just using the protective sleeve mesh they sell used to protect tools, glass ware, all the way up to compressed gas cylinders.  I used a sewers loop and then pulled unitl I got the mesh to distort.  Wasn't ever satisfied with the results.

I took a look at the micro mesh and the chart you linked to said the largest opening in their mesh was .079". That's only .0165 thousandths of an inch bigger than 1/16". That ain't much. You might want to rethink before ordering any of that particular mesh unless they have something with a larger opening.

Solarfall uses an aluminum mesh to form scales in his foil. He shows it on one of his videos in the Hard Bait How To section. It seems to be approximately the right size for what your wanting. I looked at a bunch of different web sites trying to find something similar here in the states and didn't come up with anything. The only place I found it was in Europe and it was quite pricey by the rime you got it delivered to your door.

Ben

Ben,

I was thinking about the long way short way measurements. It's a little unclear on there what each measurement is talking about. I can't get them to add out. I definitely see your point though.

I searched "micro expanded mesh" to get that. There is probably a better choice.

As for the foiling video from solarfall... Saw that. He is awesome. Will be trying that but wondering about losing the pattern when adhering to the bait through burnishing. You have to get the air out so I'm kinda lost on how it holds it's shape. Looks great though. I would love to see an attachment video on preformed foil scaling. I've always knurled after application. Very interesting.

I really wasn't referencing Solarfall's techique of foiling baits. It was the type of aluminum mesh he was using. It seemed to be a closer match in size to what everyone is looking for to paint the bait in question. I'm sure there has to be a suitable match here in the states. I just haven't found it yet.

Ben

Has anyone considered he may be using a frisket plotter? During one of my marathon web surfing sessions I saw someone making masking very similar to this pattern. I'm on a airbrush forum and those guys although they do not paint tackle they do a lot of masking/stencil work and I see these home use plotters are relatively cheap to own. Just a possible source for this pattern. :twocents:

Why don't we just elect someone to call the guy and ask how he gets this particular scale pattern? :) In advance......I would like to withdraw my name from any and all consideration. :|  :mad:

I have already stepped up to the plate a few day's ago...Mr. Barton told me he was sorry but he could not give out info because he didn't want to loose any business over it. He was very nice about it and i told him i fully understood his feelings about his patterns. After all he does this for a living. He did say that it was nice that the people at TU admired his work. I don't know if any of you have checked out his site but he does some fantastic patterns. Sorry i couldn't help you guy's out.  Hey saltshaker you can't find anything out if you don't ask....Who knows, I might even have to ask you something someday...

Edited by Brent R

I worked up another bait today.  A 2.5 squarebill.  Used the mesh my wife found that we bought some years ago.  It is not exactly the same as BB Lures uses but it is close and I was able to duplicate a very similar effect that turned out great I think.  I will attach.  I used aluminum expanded metal gutter guard type mesh but the pattern was much smaller than used in the last pics I posted and the mesh was flattened which made it easier to get the effect we are looking for.  I had a much more difficult time forming this mesh over the bait and after a couple failed attempts, I cut a larger section that I folded in half to form a hinge, then formed it around the bait so that I could just spring open the hinge a little and slip the bait in.  Then I clamped it with whatever I had available.  Bottom line is that I really got a nice job out of it.  Am going to attach pics.  No matter how good or bad it turned out, this BB Lures guy is awesome and I am certainly not after his job, just want to churn out some awesome lures. He is talented.  I will probably never achieve the precision he has.  I am having some fun.  I'm glad tek started this it is going to step up my game I am needing to paint up some Golden Shiner lures and they have a course scale pattern with a dark highlight that I want to use.

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00126.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

DSC00126.JPG