14_yr_old_bass_pro

Rattles?

I use them in my crankbaits and some jerkbaits and I make them myself.

It's a bit difficult to explain in great detail but I use a plastic tube with a metal cap cut from any metal thin enough to cut with a blunt old pair of scissors superglued on each end the ball inside is a .38 slingshot (catapult over here!) ammo. Make sure you wait long enough for the super glue to dry on one end before putting in the ball and the cap on the other end!

The tube I use is from the packaging from expensive violin strings, OK not everybody can easily get that but the world is full of all sorts of tubing that can be used.

I like to make all my parts myself hook hangers,diving bills everything and don't buy any components but all such bits can be bought from suppliers and assembled if you prefer.

Glass worm rattles work well.

Drill hole same dia. glue in place, also have made my own.

This will change the weighting of the baits so it should be done early in the balancing process, I put mine far back because I want lots of noise.

Shake the rattle in your hands and see which way you like the sounds because that is then the way to put them in the bait.

I.E....Hoz, may make more sound.

I use the jig rattles as Coley mentioned in my lures that don't have prebuilt rattle chambers. When I can't get them I'll make 'em out of a standard drinking straw. Plug the straw ends with epoxy putty.

Roll out some epoxy putty and use the tip of a straw to punch out end caps. (works like a cookie cutter) Let them cure then super glue one cap in place. Before you put your bb in the straw make sure the super glue has hardend as mgodliman said or you will glue the rattle to the tube.

Tight lines,

Shawn