Darkman

New To Airbrushing Lures Need Help

I have used airbrushes before but never on lures.....how do I start from begging to end

how do I remove paints on plastic and wood lures, do I need to use a primer and if I do what kind, what paints do most of you recommend, and what do I use to clear coat...I have used the search and to no avail on most of my questions...I am new to this part of the site as I mostly work with lead so im on the wired baits part a ton...thanks guys

Sounds by your description that you're planning on painting baits that have been painted already. In any case yes you should scuff prime then paint. As far as clear coat there are loads of options but the most used are epoxies there is a thread going on right now on GST concrete sealer that guys are having success with so go there and read up it may be for you. As far as paints go the Createx line of acrylic paints are most common.

Remove paint:

DOT3 brake fluid on most plastic baits that done have a thick clear. If they do you need something stronger but usually will eat the bait too. An air eraser is a good way. It's like a mini-sandblaster.

Priming/painting:

Lots of different ways. I use opaque white createx. Lots of tu members use super hide white.

You don't necessarily have to prime. Lots of clear lures.

Most use createx paint. Sprays well. Heat gun set in about 15 sec or less. Cleans up with windex. Non toxic.

Clear:

Take your pick. Run a search on Topcote, topcoat, clearcote, clearcoat, everything from 2 part Devcon epoxy to concrete sealer to melted plastic in acetone.

I like Devcon 30 minute and Etex on repaints. Mostly Etex for that. You need to make a lure turner to level the epoxy.

Steps:

Remove paint as above or sanding

Clean with denatured alcohol

Lay a base color if needed

Add details using stencils, netting...

Clearcoat bait.

Put on lure turner to dry

Wait patiently.

Good luck

Another approach to removing paint - a propane torch.  But you have to be careful or you will ruin the bait.  Also, some older wood baits have undercoating that will burst into flame at the merest touch of a flame (Poes, to name one).  Rapala undercoating is not flammable and this method works well on that brand.  It also works on a lot of plastic lures but you need to be careful not to heat the lure so much that the plastic softens and the air inside expands.

The paint and clearcoat on an existing lure typically weighs .02-.03 oz, so if that weight is not an issue, such as on most floating baits, there is no reason to remove it before repainting.  Just scuff up the topcoat to promote adhesion of the new paint and wipe it down with denatured alcohol.  Specifically on balsa baits, I NEVER remove paint with sandpaper down to the soft raw balsa because it is almost impossible to do without distorting the shape of the lure.

Although brake fluid works well on plastics, I've stopped using it on baits larger than 4'', instead I choose to wet sand with 120 grit.  Faster and less messy.  On wood, I sand to bare wood with 80 grit.

I only use it to re-paint baits like this.( See below) Baits that have molded scales patterns or are embossed.  I use an acid brush to apply the brake fluid use the same brush to remove the flaking paint.

On bare plastics I use rattlecan white.  If the lures have features like in this picture, I'll use flat white.  Everything else semi-gloss or gloss.  It adheres really well and I save the priming stage.

I use rattlecans personally to paint but I have a friend who airbrushes and uses rattlecan paint as a base on wood or plastic.

s56

P1020297.JPG

P1020297.JPG

P1020297.JPG

P1020297.JPG

P1020297.JPG

P1020297.JPG

P1020297.JPG

P1020297.JPG

post-18480-0-44099900-1386446249_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seeking 56

If I'm re-painting a factory lure I usually sand the paint down to bare plastic with sandpaper. The reason I do this is most of the time the bait isn't going to be perfectly smooth. There will usually be places along the seams that aren't flush with the surrounding plastic and I like to sand these down to get a smooth surface to paint on. This isn't 100% necessary, but it bugs the crap out of me and I figure if your going to go to the trouble of re-finishing a lure why not make it look as nice as possible. If this sort of thing isn't a major concern for you then it's not necessary.

Ben

It really depends on what condition the wood baits are in as to how I choose to re-finish them. If the top coat is in good shape then probably all I would do is give them a light sanding with 400 grit sandpaper followed by painting and applying a new top coat. If there are cracks or scratches in the top coat that expose the paint below I would probably sand them down to bare wood, reseal them and then paint and top coat.

If the top coat isn't breached and you decide to just scuff and paint you need to be careful not to sand through the top coat. If that happens to me I go ahead and sand it down to bare wood and finish as per above.

This procedure is in no way etched in stone. Others do things differently and as long as you end up with a bait that performs well then that is all that matters.

hope this helps,

Ben

I've painted only a few pre-painted baits for friends. I went the same route as Ben. Scuff the top coat (I prime everything, just me) for the base

coat to adhere, then paint what you will. If you use Createx, heat set between colors, and as said above there are many finish coats to use.

I've been using DT2 (Devcon 2 Ton) forever and have had great success. Good luck on transforming your baits to what work for you, in your bodies

of water.

Jerry

Edited by bassguy

i use a 6v ( battery operated) dremel tool fitted with a abrasive wheel not the sanding wheel. ( have to check what it is called) but this makes quick work of scuffing the old paint finish. If it needs completely removed I soak overnight in super purple ( its found in automotive section at walmart) this does great job on most baits and doesnt hurt the lure. I only do latter if baits paint is chipped badly. then prime with createx white. 

So on the topic of airbrushing, I just got into it myself, and was wondering what some good bass catching, easy to paint, schemes are. maybe some pics would help. I have a airbrush that my father uses for stuff and got to use it today so I primed with white Createx 5 magnum wiggle warts, and so am looking for fairly easy schemes that are good for beginners. I Love airbrushing and will never go back to rattle cans, as it uses far less paint and is way more controllable (I played for an hour or so on some cardboard and basically figured out how to control flow and such). anything will help.  

@ jonister  not sure what types of bait fishes you got in the pacific nw but we got perch, shad, craw fish, here all work on bass even blue gills and crappie work on the bass out here...come up with simple to do patterns at first like a white belly black back shad or paint the belly up from bottom up yellow then dark green then with black bar  it with black back that bars  threw the green & yellow add small amount of orange at the belly just be hind the gills for the fins that's it for a good perch pattern.   keep it simple at first  don't get in to the details to much always concentrate on the masking techniques like read up on positive and negative stencils use. and how to properly mask this will all be big plus when air brushing... most of all with over spray when trying to avoid it .

@ the original poster.

i use nail polish for my paint job thinned with lacquer thinner for my paint schemes...as for sanding i would stick with it for paining 300-400 grit.   for starters it is best then you don't got to deal with big  deep scratches to have to finish over.

i also ware a painter mask with carbon filtering. by the way just a tip  even if using rattle cans you should ware those paper mask. cause  over spray can cause breathing  problems..   so can hardeners in paint like h.o.k. and ppg they emit fumes from the hardener and chemical bonding of certain type of paint the fumes are called isocyanates which are deadly from  prolonged exposure to them.. so always read up on what your doing be fore you do it...  

So on the topic of airbrushing, I just got into it myself, and was wondering what some good bass catching, easy to paint, schemes are. maybe some pics would help. I have a airbrush that my father uses for stuff and got to use it today so I primed with white Createx 5 magnum wiggle warts, and so am looking for fairly easy schemes that are good for beginners. I Love airbrushing and will never go back to rattle cans, as it uses far less paint and is way more controllable (I played for an hour or so on some cardboard and basically figured out how to control flow and such). anything will help.  

A lot depends on what the prevalent baitfish are in your area. Check out the gallery to give you some ideas as to what color patterns might work for you. Try to keep it simple until you get more accustomed with your airbrush.

Ben

The baitfish in my area... crawfish, small gold shiners, we have runs of smelt, salmon smolts, perch , stocker trout, a few dif. kinds of little silver shad. I might try a perch first because it seems simple. thanks quys for input. 

Edited by jonister

Also, does anyone know how to airbrush feathers, I tried using marabou feathers as a stencil but the air just blew the feathers all over the place. maybe someone should make a forum on here dedicated to airbrushing tips/techniques.

try some clear nail polish or hair spray on the feather.. oh ya instead of taking over this person thread lets start another thread  of  your own so we/I can feel we can answer you more freely.  some times it pisses other people off to add content to their thread which is off topic and  is known by a few as thread hijacking..sorry to have to say it  you seem to be  a good person and would hate to start a fight on here over nothing cause i can tell your new to using forums?  also  like said try more thinner and upping the air pressure  a tad if you have not .  also try a pocket combo for doing your hair those make good stencils too for like the barring on a barred perch effect. 

try some clear nail polish or hair spray on the feather.. oh ya instead of taking over this person thread lets start another thread  of  your own so we/I can feel we can answer you more freely.  some times it pisses other people off to add content to their thread which is off topic and  is known by a few as thread hijacking..sorry to have to say it  you seem to be  a good person and would hate to start a fight on here over nothing cause i can tell your new to using forums?  also  like said try more thinner and upping the air pressure  a tad if you have not .  also try a pocket combo for doing your hair those make good stencils too for like the barring on a barred perch effect. 

Yo 4 posts does not a forum member make, Ben was offering a possible solution I don't see this as a hijack, and Ben will tell you when we don't agree I say so, he's on point here. Move on!

@ boondox, no im not new to forums, this is fully on topic as darkmans first question was anything regarding airbrushing lures from start to finish. 

Now being on topic, I tried hairspray on a marabou feather but it gave it an un-natural ragged look,

next up, a broom wisk

Ps, to make you happy, im starting a new thread titled, airbrushing techniques, all other comments regarding my original question please take there.

Edited by jonister

The date of the last post before Jonisters was made in December of 2013 so I don't really see that as highjacking a thread. Others may have differing opinions and I respect that, but when a post has sat idle for that long I think it has pretty much run it's course. If anything bringing an old post back to life might offer some new solutions to old problems.

Thanks Gon2long. We've had our differences of opinion and then let it go at that. Like the old saying goes "there are more ways than one to skin a cat", but you can't wash ugly off an ape. :D

Ben