A-Mac

Finishing A Cutting Board?

Hey all,

This isn't crankbait related, but I figure this is still the best place to ask.

I'm making a cutting board for my girlfriend for her birthday.  I got a 17" diameter 1" pine board circle from Home Depot and wood burnt/ painted a butterfly on one side.  I figure the opposite side could be used for the cutting part, but leave it flipped over for decor.

I was hoping to use evirotech to cover the picture, but what should I use for the cutting side?  I figure it should still be sealed right?  Any suggestions?  Or should I coat both sides with e-tex?

Thanks!

Couldn't you use the same stuff that they use to finish salad bowls? It would be easy to re-apply as needed. If you finish it with something like Etex it's going to be much more trouble to repair once it starts to show signs of use.

I know there are certain kinds of wood that naturally kill bacteria. I think it's from the natural oils and acids contained in the wood. Not sure if pine is one of them.

Ben

I've found that the board should be treated with mineral oil.  Do you think that e-tex on the paint side (not to be used for cutting) and mineral oil on the other side (after the etex has cured) could work?  Or do you think the oils would seap through and ruin the e-tex side?

Now you are in my area of expertise. I made tureen ware  and sold it for years. First the bad news. Pine is a terrible choice for your cutting board. The problem is being too soft and letting bacteria enter. Tureen ware is usually made from the wood of fruit trees. Apple, Cherry (even wild cherry) and Pair are all good choices. On the side that will be used to cut, soak it good with peanut oil. ALL petroleum oils are toxic, and all other food grade oils will eventfully turn  rancid. Peanut oil will not. Of course that is assuming the entire family is free of nut allergies.

Thanks for the info.  I should have checked on here sooner.  However, wood selection is limited in the big box stores too.  Bad news from my side, I've already made it.  

So if this can't be used as a cutting board, what should I tell her it is?

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/amcalexa/20131208_185156_zpsc37dd0fa.jpg

Only cutting boards I have made are end grain boards and have been the usual walnut, maple, and cherry and have been sealed with mineral oil.  I have a done a few with mineral oil and bees wax.   No issues with using it at all.   A salad boil finish could also be a good choice as long as you let it soak in and don't try building up a finish.  Plenty of commercial products sold for butcher blocks also (usually mineral oil mixture with bees wax or carnuba).  As pointed out pine is soft and won't take too much abuse if used a lot but then again if it ends up used that much good just make another.  

All your food oils can go rancid and many avoid them but plenty of guys still use walnut, almond, peanut, etc...  If you are into it plenty of information that goes into reason why they go rancid (mono, saturated, polysaturate fats, light, heat, oxygen, blah, blah, blah).....  

Could always use it as a trivet.

Edited by Travis

Alright, I bit the bullet.  She loves it, and wants me to keep it as a cutting board... but put plastic on the back.  I'll etex the whole shebang to seal, and then slap some plastic cutting boards on the back... easier said then done.  Thanks for the input guys!