RayburnGuy

Lure Autopsy

@ hazmail

Thanks so much for sharing this link , Pete :worship: , ....very interesting indeed :yay: .

What amazes me most is , that far most of these Aussie lures seem to get along without ANY added ballast , .........but also I'm wondering about the reliability of some models lacking pinned lips and just having glued in some cotter pin-like wireforms as hookhangers .

Well ,.... I'm confident with twisted wire eyes or screw eyes , ......but , .....dunno , .....probably the particular target species of fish do not grow that strong , .....or , ......you must have some kind of secret super strong glue DownUnder , that the rest of the world has not heard of yet :lol: .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

Pete,

Fun site.  Thanks.

Dieter,

I am also impressed that they use no ballast on most of their lures.  I'm guessing the wood must be heavy enough.

And I'm pretty sure that epoxy will hold a cotter pin well enough so that the wood/glue joint would fail before the pin would pull out.  I've tried to "save" some lure mistakes by removing glued-in hardware, and it's impossible, at least for me.

@ mark poulson

Mark , I've already made a couple of Aussie style deep divers(thru-wired or with pinned lips , though) , .......the big diving lips , often made from aluminium sheet , do their share to balance these lures not to turn over and blow out .

The timber material must be buoyant enough to be able to carry the weight of these lips , naturally the lures would float up head down at rest .

This way they'd dive down steep , but the casting performance might be rather poor , ......on my own versions I like to place belly weights into the rear to improve the casting performance , .......provided the lures would still remain sufficiently buoyant  to bounce off obstacles properly .

I have a few genuine Aussie timber lures as well , ........waiting for a bigger pike to strike them to see , whether they'd hold up , .....but I guess , they would, .......just remember to have seen a pull test on YouTube before .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

The Rapala xrays suggest that they build their wood baits by cutting a slot in the bottom of the lure and placing a hardware and ballast frame in there, then filling it in.  How high the ballast is placed in the lure is interesting as it has a lot to do with the action.  I'd like to see regular pics of their wood baits cut in half to expose the width of the ballast weights.  I used to have a vet buddy run xrays of custom wood baits for me before he moved from the area.  Never saw anything but a standard integrated ballast/hook hanger in any of the films.

The Tackle Tour autopsies are mildly interesting but most of the baits they cut are plastic and you could see the interior arrangement without the drama by just looking at a "ghost" painted model of the bait.  But I guess it's just fun to see them hack up a $25 Megabass Ito Vision 110 occasionally.

• Like 1