Curt - NC

Coolest Lure Contest Now Running!

how do I enter contest?

To enter the contest, please go to this page: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/category/12-coolest-lure-contest/

Choose the category you want to enter your bait in and then upload the photo. You can choose to add a description of the lure too.

It's that easy!

Hey everyone, please don't make the mistake of thinking that if you post a lure photo here that it will be entered into the contest!!

All contest entries must be submitted into the contest photo gallery, located here:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/category/12-coolest-lure-contest/

Thanks!

Curt

Hi, im new to the forum and i tried to enter the contest for best hardbait, but when i look at the contest gallery to vote,i dont see my bait. i tried to reupload it but i can only see it in the regular gallery, not the contest gallery... i might be doing it wrong should i try again?

Hi, I checked the hard bait gallery and don't see anything in there from you. I also checked the hard bait gallery for the contest and didn't see anything in there from you either.

When uploading a photo for the contest, be sure you are in the contest gallery, and then choose a category (Hard Bait, Wire Bait, etc.) to upload your photo to.

Use this link to get to the contest gallery:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/category/12-coolest-lure-contest/

I' m getting nowhere trying to attach a photo, I have pics on Photobucket and computer library

Hi Roger, your photo will need to be "uploaded" into the gallery.

When you are in the gallery for the proper gallery, click on the Upload button and browse your computer for the photo that you want to enter into the contest.

You will have to use a photo on your computer. Photobucket will not work.

I hope that helps to clear things up for you a bit. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Hello Chaps,

I'd like to enter my lure. This is my "Grumpy Mullet"

It's a slider with a magnetic sliding ballast. 160mm long X about 50 grams in weight.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/12422-grumpy-mullet/

1462986_10151849480679677_1094267288_n.j

Thanks

Bennie

Edited by benniejordaan
  • Like 1

Hello Curt,

I just voted a 5 star on one lure, and it only saves it as a 4! (so says in commas)

I tried to UPDATE the vote and it still only registers as 4

Are you 100% sure it's registering your vote as a 4?

When you vote, it should register your vote, but then if you click away from that photo and click through to it again, it will show you the photo's overall score, based on all votes.

Please see the attached screenshot.

Note that it will show the overall score, but it will also tell you what your vote was.

Selection_129.png

Selection_129.png

Selection_129.png

Selection_129.png

Selection_129.png

Selection_129.png

Selection_129.png

Selection_129.png

post-44589-0-19319800-1387812405_thumb.p

I don't see how you can put hand MADE and hand PAINTED lures in the same category. There is a lot more work that goes into a handmade lure than one that someone just paints.

Gene

Hi Gene,

You make a good point. There is definitely a difference between the two. Maybe in future contests we will have different categories for this.

• Like 2

Curt,

How exactly will the winners be chosen based on the vote/ star rankings?

What I mean more specifically for example, some late entries may get only a couple votes, but could be of high ranks, say 5 votes cast for a star rating average of 4 as displayed.

But another entry gets at least 5 votes of a star rank of 4, but then gets 20 or more votes with star rating of 3 or less, leaving the "average" rank displayed of only a 3?

By another example, a late entry that gets a single vote of a 5 would appear to be the winner.(?)

I see why its important that every member casts at least one vote for each entry, thus making results more fair. But I suspect that will not be the case.

Just wondering how the total tallies will be accounted.

Curt,

How exactly will the winners be chosen based on the vote/ star rankings?

What I mean more specifically for example, some late entries may get only a couple votes, but could be of high ranks, say 5 votes cast for a star rating average of 4 as displayed.

But another entry gets at least 5 votes of a star rank of 4, but then gets 20 or more votes with star rating of 3 or less, leaving the "average" rank displayed of only a 3?

By another example, a late entry that gets a single vote of a 5 would appear to be the winner.(?)

I see why its important that every member casts at least one vote for each entry, thus making results more fair. But I suspect that will not be the case.

Just wondering how the total tallies will be accounted.

Based on Feedback from Jerry, from the previous contest that was run here at TU, we will be using the bait's overall star rating. The system calculates the highest score, but I'm honestly not 100% sure if it takes the overall number of votes into account or not when compared to a latecomer who might get two votes of 5 vs. a bait with 20 votes.

What we will do, to try to keep it as fair as possible, is set a cutoff date very soon for lure submissions and then a final date for voting. This will give some leeway for later entires to get more votes and average out, instead of just getting a couple of votes.

Hope this helps :)

Hey everyone, I just finished creating a PDF file with instructions that give the exact steps to follow to enter a lure into the contest.

I have attached it to my original post, where I announced the contest, as well as to this reply.

Hopefully this will walk you through the steps in a simple, easy-to-follow way that will simplify the process for those who aren't familiar with it.

Please let me know if you have any comments or feedback on the PDF file.

Thanks!

Tackle Underground – How to Submit a Photo to The Lure Contest.pdf

I don't see how you can put hand MADE and hand PAINTED lures in the same category. There is a lot more work that goes into a handmade lure than one that someone just paints.

Gene

I completely agree with Gene!  If all one has to do to submit a competitive valid entry is to purchase a lure, and then paint it, The Coolest Lure Contest becomes a Lure Painting Contest.  For most lure builders who design, test, refine, and build original lures from raw materials, painting is the "fun"  but only the final stage, in creating a cool lure. 

As the rules currently stand, a professional airbrush artist with no real interest in fishing lures could conceivably stand a good chance of winning this contest.  Needless to say, this is not fair to those of us who create our fishing lures from scratch.

Dean

• Like 1

I completely agree with Gene!  If all one has to do to submit a competitive valid entry is to purchase a lure, and then paint it, The Coolest Lure Contest becomes a Lure Painting Contest.  For most lure builders who design, test, refine, and build original lures from raw materials, painting is the "fun"  but only the final stage, in creating a cool lure. 

As the rules currently stand, a professional airbrush artist with no real interest in fishing lures could conceivably stand a good chance of winning this contest.  Needless to say, this is not fair to those of us who create our fishing lures from scratch.

Dean

Dean, as I already mentioned in a previous reply, this will be taken into consideration in future contests.

We will likely divide the categories up a bit differently in the future to further refine the entries.

Based on Feedback from Jerry, from the previous contest that was run here at TU, we will be using the bait's overall star rating. The system calculates the highest score, but I'm honestly not 100% sure if it takes the overall number of votes into account or not when compared to a latecomer who might get two votes of 5 vs. a bait with 20 votes.

What we will do, to try to keep it as fair as possible, is set a cutoff date very soon for lure submissions and then a final date for voting. This will give some leeway for later entires to get more votes and average out, instead of just getting a couple of votes.

Hope this helps :)

In the end, If you can't separate the voting to account for EXACTLY how many of each star rating entries receive, then it WILL be an unfair contest to base solely on the average rating of the few votes an entry receives.

SO, feasibly, an entry that gets 1 vote of a 5 star, will win over an entry that gets 100 votes or more, of which there may be multiple 5 star votes, but the average rating = less........

You need to change this......for this contest, or I choose to withdraw, what's the point????

In the end, If you can't separate the voting to account for EXACTLY how many of each star rating entries receive, then it WILL be an unfair contest to base solely on the average rating of the few votes an entry receives.

SO, feasibly, an entry that gets 1 vote of a 5 star, will win over an entry that gets 100 votes or more, of which there may be multiple 5 star votes, but the average rating = less........

You need to change this......for this contest, or I choose to withdraw, what's the point????

We are working with the same exact system that was in place for the last contest that was held back when Jerry was running the site. So it's not like we're making things up as we go.

And understand that nobody is forcing anyone to enter the contest. You either want to enter, or you don't. If you don't like the way it's being run and you choose yo withdraw your entry, feel free to do so. It's your call.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect, so let's not pretend that it will be. And if you think we can change something in the middle of the contest, you're sadly mistaken.

So, let's be realistic and enjoy the competition and the fact that there are a lot of great entries, showing a lot of skill and talent. If you don't want to do that, then feel free to remove yourself from the contest.