JJK

Storage Of Hand Pour Plastics

I'm sure there is an overly technical explanation about whether or not the crystaline structure of the salt is able to loosely bond with the chemical structure of the scent and whatever other chemicals are in the salt, but this is a bait making forum afterall and I don't think I will be the one to delve that deep into the mystery!  I'm sure someone here has done some experimenting with scenting their salt or who may be inspired to do so based on these comments.

I don't make saltwater plastics as I don't live close enough to the salt unfortunately. I don't put salt in many of my baits because I find the more salt in the bait the easier it is to tear up. If someone wants salt in their baits I'll put salt in them but I personally don't find any benefits to having salt in the baits as opposed to not having it.

Some people feel it makes the fish hold the bait longer, the fish can taste it, etc. I'm not personally of that belief and from all the research I've done and seen nothing shows me that bass can taste, but they can smell as well as see colors. The only time I would say salt is a benefit is for tube baits as it helps keep the tails separated in the bag.

I put my baits on ceramic tiles to cool while I pour them. They get bagged when I am done pouring. Dimples, dents , curves etc don't matter. It won't affect how well they catch fish. If you are trying to catch fishermen, that is a different story.

Same thing here, my tiles are smooth/glossy and about 8" x 12".   I have a whole stack of them that I have scattered all over the place after I am done.   I usually try to leave them overnight at a minimum but often I go a week or two before they get bagged.

• Like 1