jighead

plastic for lead sub

Id recommend not using any pourable plastics or foams in your aluminum molds. Reason is, most are urethanes & one slip or incorrect use of a release agent & your mold is toast.

You probably know using any plastic as a jighead will reduce its weight.

might be a good thing though.

believe it or not, polymer clay might work well for this application.

its not a good product for making larger baits because its brittle but for a typical jighead it might work well.

It isnt really a clay, its a PVC plastic that has the consistency of clay, it cures in an oven @275 degrees for @15 minutes

Just put the clay in the mold, compress it using the handles of the do-it mold, remove along with the hook & bake in your oven..... worth a shot.

your local craft & hooby stores carry the clay, brand names are Fimo, Sculpey, Super Sculpey, Sculpy II & III.

The only other thing I can think of is to use an epoxy putty like 2-part plumbers putty, use the mold to form the jighead around the hook, but be sure to use a mold release & remove the putty before it cures to prevent it from sticking to the mold.

let us know if you try it.

I have some plastic jig heads I dont know what there made of but it is some knid of plastic very light and tough. PM me you adress and i'll send you one to analyze, mabey you know what type of plastic it is. If you figure it out and make em' I'd appricate it if you throw a couple my way. Get you adress and i'll send it to you next time I go to the post office.

Tm

http://www.tekcast.com/casting4.htm

Here is some stuff I have seen used in rubber silicone molds. It is in a liquid form, about like thin syrup, mix the Part A and Part B, pour in mold, and it sets in a few minutes. The parts we did were just a hard plastic parts. You could bend the parts a little, and were very hard to break, almost impossible. You could call this company to see how it would react to alum. molds.

This was used in a spin casting machine but they said it would work in a gravity mold.

Sounds like this could be used to cast hard body crank baits as well. I wonder how this would work in a mold made from water putty. If I ever get to the bottomof my honeydo list I might have to give it a try.

I'm thinking if you can put alluminum in it why couldn't you use lead to make it sink faster or even place stryrofoam beads on a wire to make it float?