saltshaker

What The Carp?

I epoxied some lures last night before bedtime and let them roll all night. Checked 'em this morning and the epoxy was just like it was when I brushed it on. I don't know what happened....inaccurate mixture, too much thinning? After doing this prolly 100 times this is a first for me. Should I try to remove the epoxy with DA or can I mix again and just apply over it? TIA

Bummer!!!!! :mad:

I guess it's player's choice.  If the lures were plastic and the epoxy was truly as soft as when you applied it, I'd be inclined to use DA to remove it.  "They say" that you can fix soft epoxy by coating it with good epoxy that will cause the soft stuff to harden.  But if the goof was something like mistaking your hardener bottle for the resin bottle when you poured out the measures, I don't think it would work - so it sort of depends on what you think the original problem was.

You guys need to realize that I ain't the genius that's found in so many places on this forum. :)

It was totally my bad. Last night I squeezed some epoxy into a mixing cup and, instead of doing the other one, I answered my cell phone. When proceeding, I put the hardener in the other cup, too. And....that is my problem......no resin.

I cleaned the lures with DA and will shortly recoat......with my cell phone OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help, guys.

• Like 2

You guys need to realize that I ain't the genius that's found in so many places on this forum. :)

It was totally my bad. Last night I squeezed some epoxy into a mixing cup and, instead of doing the other one, I answered my cell phone. When proceeding, I put the hardener in the other cup, too. And....that is my problem......no resin.

I cleaned the lures with DA and will shortly recoat......with my cell phone OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help, guys.

I have yet to do that, but honestly there have been a few times when I forgot which one i put in the cup first. Lol

Hey at least you weren't driving like a lot of fools do where I live.  No harm done and it goes to show that we are all human.  I almost cut off a finger on a table saw cause I got distracted.  That was a few years ago and now I NEVER take that chance of letting my fingers get that close again.  Glad this top coating business doesn't involve anything that will go boom if not mixed right.

:?

Yeah, ain't that the truth, Ed? I do appreciate the fact that epoxy is harmless. Aggravatin', but, harmless. Lesson learned here, tho. I should have known last night that something wasn't right when, while mixin' the epoxy, it wasn't the least bit cloudy and there were no bubbles. Now I know.

Many years ago when working as a painter in a car dealership I did something similar with clear coat. Mixed clear clear reducer. No hardner! I should have known it wasnt right. Sprayed kinda different. My youthful ignorance. Took about 45 minutes to spray but 10 hours and about15 gal of lacquer thinner and rolls and rolls of towels to remove it! Then another couple hours to resand, retape and get ready again. Worst part, I was on commision, lost a whole day of painting and then some, can you say big paycut that week! Lesson learned, pay attention no matter how many times Ive done something. We all make mistakes! Your pride will survive mine did. Lol! And I thought I was so smart 20 years ago!!

My father used to ask me if I had to learn everything the hard way, every time I made a mistake.  Turns out I do!

I think we learn more when we try and fail, and then try again.  At least I do, but maybe that's because I've made, and make, so many.

But I do think that each mistake is one we learn something from, even if it's only to not make that mistake again.

Wisdom is experience intelligently applied.  You can't be wise without both.