nova

Let's Have Some Fun

Just for a chuckle.

Every area of every country has it's own little sayings that, most times, only means something to those folks in that area. I thought it would be fun and maybe informative to all of us if we put those sayings out there; just for fun. Please do not ridicule anyone for the sayings they put up.(play nice) lol

Here's mine:- Tickidy-boo. It means everything is ok.

Here in New England, especially in RI and the surrounding areas, "wicked awesome" is a pretty popular phrase.

Not much explaining needed, but it's not really a saying that you hear in other regions, that I am aware of.

Oh, and here in RI, we also use the word "Quahog", which is a RI word for "clam". Rhode Islanders dig Quahogs, while everyone else digs clams.

I'm still learning this stuff, but some items are called something completely different in other parts of the country. 

Examples (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

California term:  "tri-tip"

Southern term:  "brisket"

California term:  "soda"

Canadian term:  "pop"

California term:  "Calzoni"

Canadian term:  "Panzerotti"

As a Central California kid, I played baseball on the New York/Canada border, and believe me when I say my "terms" drew more than a few laughs.  LOL

• Like 1

Another phrase we have here in the South is "quicker'n a minner can swim a dipper" meaning quick or fast.

Another one is "he lit a shuck". I've heard several meanings to this phrase including "time to move......or leave" and "left in a hurry". I've also read that the phrase originated back to when a neighbor was visiting and stayed until after dark. He would tie corn shucks together to make a torch so they could see to get back home.

And here in Texas "soda" or "pop" or even "soda pop" are all substituted by "Coke".

Al, you mentioned getting laughs for your terms when you were up Canada way. You should have seen the looks and heard the comments I got when I was living in California. I might as well been from Mars.  lol

Every now and then we get a "toad strangler" which is a hard rain.

Curt - I captured a little old gal from New Hampshire several years ago. Something about a southern drawl that the women in that area can't resist. Been stuck with her for years, she can talk southern now. :eek: 

Every now and then we get a "toad strangler" which is a hard rain.

Curt - I captured a little old gal from New Hampshire several years ago. Something about a southern drawl that the women in that area can't resist. Been stuck with her for years, she can talk southern now. :eek:

Are you sure you captured her? Sounds like maybe she captured you! :D

• Like 1

Very interesting thread to me , as English is not my first language .

May not quite fit in here , but here's a little one from across the Great Pond , yet still related to a famous and great American actor , ......read about it in a local paper .

Some years ago Mr. Morgan Freeman came over to a visit to Hamburg/northern Germany .

He said , that immediately that he stepped on German ground , he became quite irritated , because many people around him seemed to call him by his surname , he was quite confused and always turned and looked around whether someone was talking to him .

It took him a little while to find out , that people around were not calling him , but just greeting one another saying the German term "Morgen" , which is short for "Guten Morgen" , .......just like in America you'd use the short "morn" for "good morning" , .......the spoken German word sounds exactly the same like Mr. Freeman's surname :lol: .

Greetz , diemai :yay:

• Like 1

Here in New England we also say "slicker than snot". I know.. pretty gross. But what can you expect from a bunch of Swamp Yankees?? :unsure:

Swamp Yankee?  Now that's a first for me. Just goes to show ya that rednecks are not confined to the southern states. :lol::D:lol: And that's in no way a shot at rednecks. I'm a redneck and proud of it. :yay:

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

Here's a question for some of you southerners:

If a guy is heading southeast from California, at what point does "you guys" become "y'all?" 

Not that I'm knocking it.  Y'all is a much classier saying, especially if you're talking to a group of women.  And I hear women call other women "you guys" all the time.  Doesn't really makes sense, does it?? lol

I can't speak for New Mexico and Arizona. And not really sure about West Texas, but if you make it as far as East Texas it's pretty much a given that ya'll will hear "ya'll". At least out in the country. We get a lot of folks moving down here from up north, but we try to learn 'em how to tawk purdy quick. ;)