nova

Let's Have Some Fun

When I moved to Missouri 18 yrs ago from Central Ca. I got a kick out of everybody " Fixin" to do something..such as " I'm fixin to go to the store"...or in California English ..."I'm getting ready to go to the store"..lol...Nathan

Never lived in Missouri, but I'm guilty as charged about "fixin' to do something". I have good friends who have lived in Michigan their whole lives and we talk over the phone fregularly. They are constantly laughing at the way I talk and the country phrases I use. One point of contention is when I say something like "a friend is going to carry me to the doctor". They're always quick to remind me that unless that friend is going to load me up on their back they're not going to "carry" me anywhere. They're going to "take" me to the doctor. Another thing they make fun of me about is the way I pronounce "acorn". It comes out as "a-kurn". I just call 'em Canadians and tell them to shut up. lol

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

"Twice as good as snuff but half as dusty."

"I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what HE THINKS he's worth."

"Hold 'er Luke! She's headed for the barn!"

"Over yonder." I had a Long Island Yankee friend of mine (now deceased) told me that when he moved to Tennessee everybody would tell him something was "over yonder". He said that he finally figured out that "over yonder" was anywhere but where you were at the time.  

"Catty-corner" - diagonal

"Crick" - small creek

Enough for now,

Gene

Up here in the North we say Uffda (pronounced ooff duh) which means many things but mostly it's an exclamation. Like if you just got done walking across a cold parking lot you may come in the door stamp your feet and say "Uffda, it's cold out der den (same as there, then)."  You can also expound on Uffda by saying "Uffda be golly dontcha know."

Also we ask if you want to come with. For example, "Hey der I'm gonna go and get some dinner, wanna come with?"

Being from arkansas and having lived in Texas,Oklahoma , Georgia , and spending time in Missouri and living on the Louisiana state line I believe all the southern slang and phrases are universal pretty much but here's one for ya ( whoodis ) as in can you hand me that whoodis over there used for anything you don't know the name for or when the name has just slipped your mind

• Like 1

"Twice as good as snuff but half as dusty."

"I'd like to buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what HE THINKS he's worth."

"Hold 'er Luke! She's headed for the barn!"

"Over yonder." I had a Long Island Yankee friend of mine (now deceased) told me that when he moved to Tennessee everybody would tell him something was "over yonder". He said that he finally figured out that "over yonder" was anywhere but where you were at the time.  

"Catty-corner" - diagonal

"Crick" - small creek

Enough for now,

Gene

You'll hear a lot of these in East Central Illinois. Mostly depending on how much I or others want to pull the "aw shucks" routine on some jerk from Chicago and the like.

Y'all, Crick, and a host of others. My dad's favorites were "Slicker than goose _ _ _ _ through a tin horn and "Goose drowner" and several not family friendly ones.