Brandlercustoms

Deps Slide Swimmer 250 Help?

look on tacklewarehouse at the "roman made"   http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Roman_Made_Mother_Triple_Swimbait/descpage-RMMTSB.html     

insane.  i could never see myself paying anywhere near this for a lure.  i would like to think my fishing skills are somewhat better than having to pay out this kind of money to try to catch fish.

"the Deps Slide Swimmer 250 is completely silent as it swims. Even the hinges of the jointed-body are precision engineered not to make a sound. Its body is constructed from a hard polyurethane foam material covered by a{ soft plastic material }, which makes it feel more realistic to fish when they bite down."  

this might be where you run into problems with the painting.  I don't know much about soft plastic so unless the actual casting is painted then covered in clear plastic.  you might want to post in the soft plastic forum on here.

I'm with you Stretcher. There are lots of folks out there that have got more money than they do common sense. They're always looking for the "next big thing" that in their mind will make them a better fisherman instead of putting in the time and effort to actually be a better fisherman.

Ben

The thing that makes the slide swimmer work is the operator, Butch Brown.  He is an amazing swimbait fisherman.

And he fishes a lot, 200+ days a year.

At a seminar he gave at this year's Bass-A-Thon at Anglers Marine, in Anaheim CA, Butch said he fished with the Deps bait until he figured out how to make it work, did some custom alterations to the weighting (I don't have a clue what they are) and got Deps to make some custom paint schemes for his baits, which he sells himself.

One of my buddies bought one at this year's Bass-A-Thon (he got there early to get in line for the small number that were being sold) for something like $200, and resold it immediately on Ebay for $300+, so there is a market out there for them.

I am not in that market.

Butch rebuilt an aluminum boat specifically for fishing the Castaic afterbay, the Lagoon, which is an electric motor only lake.  The lagoon is where all of the big bass caught in the upper lake in the '80's were released, and it has no stripers, so there are some big fish in there.

His boat has a HUGE electric motor on the back, and he can do better than 5 mph with it, so he can move from spot to spot quickly and efficiently.

He is a serious fisherman.

Edited by mark poulson

Butch Brown has worked very hard to get the baits where they are today. But they look pretty real in the water and I know lots of people that have caught huge fish on them. They are a pretty sweet bait but just are lots of money, I have always wanted a Slide Swimmer, im a big swimbait thrower. I just wish I could get one under 175.00.

This is for all the super star broke ass fishermen that can catch a 10 pounder on a 10 cent drop shot on a regular basis more power to y'all. But one thing is if you have the patience to fish for three giant bites in a period you are definitely going to put more money in the bank.