capt mike

Plastic For Big Soft Swimbaits

What kind of plastic is used for big swimbaits like the Huddleston or Talon.  They seem to be very soft but yet are more durable than the ones I have been making.  I have been using Medium Calhouns. 

One of my big baits has a paddle tail and swims good for about a month.  Then it seems to stiffen up slightly, causing the bait to swim sideways.  I guess it is the curing process.  I;m going to try soft next time and maybe mix with some medium.  Just afraid it will tear up easy.

Really hope to hear some solutions.

Off the wall idea I haven't tried.

Do you think you could fill a top pour swimbait mold using clear or white silicone caulk and a caulking gun, since it is forced out so it should fill all the fins and tail details?  I'm sure it would take a while to completely cure, depending on the thickness of the bait, but do you think it would work, and hold up?

Think mark meant regular silicone used for caulk . Now I've made about every mistake you can make in tackle short of getting myself killed .Hi temp red silicone formulated for gasket types of material will render a mold almost useless until painstaking , time consuming cleaning work is done .I always powder my molds as a precaution when using something potentially could damage one . My molds are almost like my kids . I'm careful with them .

What kind of plastic is used for big swimbaits like the Huddleston or Talon. They seem to be very soft but yet are more durable than the ones I have been making. I have been using Medium Calhouns.

One of my big baits has a paddle tail and swims good for about a month. Then it seems to stiffen up slightly, causing the bait to swim sideways. I guess it is the curing process. I;m going to try soft next time and maybe mix with some medium. Just afraid it will tear up easy.

Really hope to hear some solutions.

High Modulus Silicone is used on most swimbaits