FrogAddict

How To Test My Lures

Hello all!

I'm new and have been building lures for about 2 weeks. I think I've made 2-3 lures so far (no where close to the quality I've seen in the galleries), I won't ask the usual newbie questions about top coating etc etc. I've read countless posts from all of you guys who have been there and done that. Man I've learned a lot, thank you!

Here's a question though. I live in North Dakota and I plan on making my topwater bass lures during the winter months (think ice over any open water). So how do I test them? I'm talking about more than a simple dunk test. I want to make a cast and work the lure. I'm not an engineer like Vman so I'm looking for a simple solution. My kid suggested going to the local motel and asking to use the pool but I'm guessing after they give me a weird look, the answer will probably be a resounding "NO."l. Any other ideas?

Edited by FrogAddict

Top waters are overall about the most forgiving lure you can make, with regards to function.  If they sit properly you are almost certain to have a bait that will work but still need to test to see the effects of weight placement, line tie position, etc..

Hotel likely your best bet if you are set on actually casting a lure but a bathtub usually good enough for most baits besides something you want to walk.  I would get a bunch of baits and stay at the hotel one night and try them out.  

Edited by Travis

Actually the hotel might not be a bad Idea..especially if the night manager is a fisherman and you make a few for him or her...I some times have the same problem here ..but it is not as long lasting as yours..lol...or perhaps your High School or community center if they have a pool...Nathan

• Like 1

If you've got the room, and the spare cash, you can always build a test tank. I also know of a couple guys who use a water trough like those used to water horses and cattle. If you decide to go this route you'll need to cover it so sunlight can't hit the water. This keeps algae from growing.

Ben

You can pick up a cheap plastic kids pool from Toys R Us.  The kind with the hard sides, so hooks won't be a problem.

If you want a bigger or longer tank, dig a trench, line it with a heavy plastic tarp, and then put a waterproof plywood trough into it, to protect the plastic.  Once it filled with water, it should work fine.

I've also heard of people using big plastic ice chests as tanks, too.