basscatcher89

Dipping Tubes

I've been searching through the forum using the search engine looking at information on dipping tubes. Found alot of good information but one thing i couldnt find is how guys are prepping their rods for dipping tubes. Do guys take em to the grinder and round an end off or leave them square? I'm going to try both ways just figured I'd ask the guys on here if they dont mind sharing their experience.

Good deal keep an open mind too I've seen tubes dipped with copper tube for monster tubes and smaller diameter metal shanks for tiny tubes your ideas are only limited by your willingness to try! I like walking down all the isles of Home Depot or Lowe's and try to find new things to work with.

Well here is the first try. This is the only one I cut the tail on before I thought I need to find a better way. Went a little to tough on the hardener so I'll back it down next time. And I just need a bigger cup for dipping longer tubes lol.

not pretty but the first never is.

IMG_20140106_171927_944_zpsmpphx7a8.jpg

Edited by basscatcher89

I did just from reading what others have been posting about plastic needing to be more stout for tube making. I've defintiely learned some lessons after doing that one there. I dipped way to many times and I've got some blades coming for making the tails a little better. I'm going to change up the next batch and see what happens.

Not a bad start at all black and blue is my old standby nice work, look forward to the next batch! And as Jig Man stated I to only inject for myself and like them softer but the tails do get bit off on the supersoft  plastic that I use so I do add a little hardener and I always shake them in a box with kosher salt it helps keep the tails free from one another.

Well here was tonights try. These are the survivers so far cause I marred all the others up trying to cut the tail. I tried tonight using razor blades. I took 10 and clamped them together which the bodies alone gave enough separation for hte size strands I would want. I clamped them together and tried to cut em but still had no luck. Back to the drawing board and hopefully I can salvage these.

IMG_20140107_192950_126_zpsy7hby4wq.jpg

What I did was I took a clamp and epoxied a bunch of razor blades together and epoxied it to the clamp so that I could lay the tube on the blades and push it down with the other side of the clamp. Problem was i think i set the blades to cut to finely cause the plastic gets hung up in the blades and breaks. I hit both with the worm oil so I think I just need to space them out more for this. But I am still looking at the pizza cutter style to make things easier

Buy one of those narrow paint rollers the one that is like 3 inches wide but it needs to be the full size type not the little foam ones. Remove everything from the handle add the amount of blades you need prolly about 10 you will need to space them, up to you but washers work well make sure they fit without being too sloppy on the shaft, mark were your last blade/washer is on the shaft drill a small hole for a cotter pin and cut off the excess now you have a relatively safe way to cut your tails, but again as I mentioned the up front cost is a little pricey but worth it if I find mine I'll take a pic for you. Oh a the blades are round fabric blades look on the net to find a good deal on them.