RayburnGuy

Favorite Color Schemes For Top Water Baits

Hey guys,

I thought this question had been asked before, but I couldn't find it with a search of the archives. Found the one about color patterns for cranks, but no luck with top water baits.

Anyway, if you wouldn't mind sharing your favorite colors for top waters I would appreciate it. I've got a walking bait waiting to be painted and I'm drawing a blank. Most of the water it will be fished in has about 2 to 4 feet of visibility. Pictures would be a plus if you don't mind sharing.

thanks guys,

Ben

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/media/gallery/category_8/tn_gallery_28195_8_281561.jpg

I painted this, for a friend at work, after seeing bass blow up on dragonflies this past summer. Yesterday, he asked if i would paint more of them for him, he caught several fish with it on his first trip so I guess it worked. I hope this helps.

I like a yellowish bone, with red gills and a chart. feathered tail for first thing, and a clear/silver for once the sun comes up.

I use silver flashabou in the tail.

Since the bait is seen from below, I think the action is more important than the color scheme.

Here's three I posted in the gallery:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/5484-5-inch-gliderwalkers/

Thanks for your input guys. Not sure why I'm hung up and can't make a decision. Maybe I need to have a few shots of gin and tonic and just sit down and fire up the airbrush. :sauced:

Woodie if I remember correctly they made a couple different frog patterns for the Dying Flutter. Are you talking about the one with the solid yellow belly, dark green back with black markings on the back?

Mark those are some nice looking baits. I haven't painted a bone color in a while. :? Clear/silver is out. I keep painting baits with transparent paint, but you still can't see through the wood. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. :huh:

Thanks again everyone. Ya'll have been a great help.

Ben

I like firetiger with an orange belly or shad with a white belly. But in some cases, black is the best. Funny how we all focus on the rest of the bait when the belly color and the action is what's important.

Here's a quick pic of one I just painted.

lure2.jpg

lure2.jpg

lure2.jpg

lure2.jpg

lure2.jpg

lure2.jpg

lure2.jpg

lure2.jpg

post-45642-0-47166200-1388788710_thumb.jpg

Edited by FrogAddict

I do that also Woodie and that's actually what I finally did with this bait. Of course I had to try to do something a little different as far as what colors were put together. Not 100% sure I like what I came up with, but holding off on an opinion until the fish tell me what they think. If the fish don't like it the paint manufacturers haven't quit making paint yet so I still have alternatives. :lol:

I fish a lot of black baits. Everything from soft plastics to top waters and everything in between. Black neon is a favorite of mine. I've also seen times when a clear top water would out fish everything else in the boat. Mostly on clear, sunny days.

From what I could tell about it in the tub it's going to have a great walking action so maybe the color won't be the determining factor on whether it gets bit or not. I was actually a little surprised at how well it walked for a 3" bait. It also had a fair amount of glide to it when it was twitched slowly.

There will definitely be more of these built and will most likely return to the more traditional color patterns. I appreciate everyone's help. It definitely putt me to thinking and got me out of the ditch.

Thanks guys.

Ben

p.s. I'll post a pic when it comes off the lure turner so ya'll can make fun of it. :teef:

Here's the pic of the walker. I was going to leave it entirely bone colored at first, but thought it needed some contrast. First tried transparent tan, but there wasn't enough color difference in the tan and the bone to be noticeable. Then mixed some copper in with the tan and that was better, but it still didn't seem quite right so I sprayed some transparent brown over the tan/copper layer to darken it a little more. Hard to tell from the picture, but laid down some red along the contour of the head for gills and sprayed a little fluorescent chartreuse on the belly. Finished it off with some small gold flake.

I wanted the paint scheme to be something a little different and I think that part was accomplished whether it will get bit or not. If the bass turn their noses up at it I haven't run out of paint yet.

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

Walker 1-3-2014 003.jpg

post-21848-0-54899000-1388813454_thumb.jpg

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

Thanks Jerry. :)

This was my first time using that particular style of netting. It's a shower loofah, but I'm thinking it may not be made from the same stuff a lot of the other guys are using. It's extremely "stretchy" and slippery which makes getting all the scales the same size all but impossible. It's made out of some kind of plastic and you can't even get close to it with a heat gun or it will melt. I finally had to use a trick Gene (Lincoya) told me about. (thanks Gene....your trick with the spray adhesive kept me from throwing an oilfield fit) After laying the netting out flat I sprayed it with 3M adhesive and then placed the netting on the bait. I ended up usomg a separate piece of netting for each side of the bait because it made aligning the scale pattern easier. Another problem was trying to dry the paint after each coat. I had to hold the heat gun at least a foot away from the bait to keep the netting from melting. It's like most everything else that requires skill. Once you do it a few times it starts to get easier.

Ben

Thanks Thinman. They are wood and I do carve my own. I figured out fairly early that I would never be an airbrush "artist" and since I've always worked with my hands decided to try building a few baits just to see if I could. Now I enjoy building them even more than painting. There's an endless number of variables that dictate how a lure is going to act and it's fun to see what one can come up with when designing and building a bait. It's enough to keep you up at night and sometimes it does just that. :drool:

Ben