FrogAddict

Galvanized Wire?

I searched the forums and didn't find any information on galvanized wire. I have some welding wire that just doesn't do the trick and I found a spool of galvanized steel wire that may work. Any thoughts on using galvanized steel for freshwater fishing lures? Thanks in advance!

I use Ook 28 gauge glavanized wire that I got from Home Depot and haven't had any problems.  The only place the wire can rust is at the tag ends where you cut it after you twist it.  I leave a longer tag end anyway that I bend down to use as an additional anchor for my trailers, so the rusted tips are never an issue.

Thanks Mark! I'm going to use it for twisted eyes so the ends will be inside the lure anyway. I sure wish I hadn't spent the $$ for the stainless steel I found at a welding supply store. It's too brittle and hard to work with. I hope another newbie reads this and doesn't make the same mistake.

Whoa!!!  If you're using them for twist wire hook hangers, you need much stouter wire, and SST, too.  Galvanized steel will rust through in nothing flat, because the split rings will remove the galvanizing as soon as they swing back and forth a few times.

You should post a thread asking where to get softer SST wire, and what gauge.  

I only use the galv. wire for tying skirts on jigs and spinnerbaits.

Edited by mark poulson

I just went to the welding store, told the guy I was making lures, asked him if he had stainless steel wire. He showed me the stuff. It's like .035 inches. Seemed right so I bought it. Once I brought it home I realized it was tough to work with. I tried to make some twisted wire eyes and 3 of the 4 broke. I was able to make some being careful but now I'm concerned that they'll break.

I think I'm going to make a dunce cap, put it on, take a picture and use that picture for my profile.

Edited by FrogAddict

I use stainless steel welding wire .. yea its a lil tuff.. but it works.. I got a sample spool from a welding supplier..have made hundreds of baits with it .. and still have just barely made a dent in the spool.. I small round file the size I want my eyes to be, cut the wire with good quality wire cutters to the length I want .. usually about 4 to 5 inches.

Then use pliers to crimp it around the file.. then use vise grips to twist the wire..  once I make the crimp.. I make a bunch at one time.. I use those only for the line tie and the rear hooks on bass crankbaits.. the belly eye is also my ballast weight.. I made a mold out of two pieces of aluminum about inch thick.. put in vise.. and used my drill press to drill holes in the middle of the two pieces.

Used Dremel to notch the molds pieces to hold brass figure 8s available at any tackle supply store.. and craft stores.

I use brass figure 8s I got at craft store, look in jewelry making dept.. After I get them in place, lay the other mold piece,, clamp together.. and pour hot lead into the holes.. then epoxy those into the baits.. kills two birds one stone.. I would post pics .. but some rule about no pics in forums .. I dont know if that applies to link to elsewhere as well ??

There are many different grades of stainless wire that are used for welding the different types of stainless steel. The different grades of stainless are designed with the end use in mind. Things like resistance to acids and other chemicals, corrosion resistance, etc are a common use for stainless. But the fact that they won't rust doesn't make every type of stainless applicable for bending applications. This is why I buy soft temper stainless from McMaster-Carr. They have it in a variety of sizes as well.

Ben

• Like 1

Something I didn't mention about using galvanized wire is that metal is galvanized by using a hot dip process which which fuses a thin layer of zinc onto the metal that is being plated. Bending can cause the plating to separate from the base metal leaving unprotected areas that will eventually corrode.

Ben

Ben, I think the finer galv. wire I use for my skirts is electroplated, which isn't as thick and doesn't seem to be affected by twisting.  But the cut ends will rust over time.  It doesn't affect how the wire holds the skirts, because I have a pretty long tag end.

Of course, I can't see if the plating is actually cracked.  I can just barely see the 28 gauge wire!  Hahaha