Virginia Junkie

Airbrush Help

I bought a used Iwata Neo gravity feed airbrush a couple weeks ago at a yard sale. I am having trouble getting paint to spray out of it. I have taken it completely apart and cleaned it well put still having issues. When you pull back on the trigger to spray paint air id bubbling back through the paint in the cup. I didn't pay much for it so its not that big of a deal but I sure would like to get it working. Any ideas?

If paint is bubbling in the cup, that's a sign that there is still an obstruction in the tip of the brush.  Either a paint build-up that you didn't get out, or maybe the paint nozzle or the needle is bent or otherwise damaged.  I would completely disassemble the brush including the nozzle and soak it in an airbrush cleaning solution for at least 24 hrs, then backwash the tip by holding your finger over the tip and shooting cleaner through it at high pressure.  Still clogged?  With the nozzle remobed, reverse the needle and use it to gently "help" any clogged paint out the front of the brush.  If that doesn't work, soak it in acetone for a few hours in case the brush was used to shoot lacquer.

Airbrushes are simple machines but the parts are precision fitted.  You have to keep them clean if you want them to work right. 

• Like 1

If cleaning doesn't help take the wrench remove the nozzle and dab the threads with a chapstick or bees wax if the threads are not seated due to some crud or bad threads air will pass through the threads and back into the cup, this quick fix worked on my NEO just be careful the NEO parts are more fragile than some other brushes and that nozzle is fricken tiny so don't drop it :mad:

I have the same airbrush, which I purchased new, and it has developed the same symptom.  I've tried cleaning and the beeswax trick, with no luck.  It appears that I may have deformed my nozzle.  It no longer is a perfect cone, but is getting a slight "trumpet" shape on the end.  This is my first airbrush, and I'm sure I have seated my needle too hard at times.  I've heard this can also cause the bubbling in the cup.  I have a new tip and needle ordered.  Hopefully, this fixes my issue.

I almost hate to resurrect this old thread, but my replacement parts finally came in and I wanted to give an update.  After trying the obvious things (cleaning, beeswax) to cure the bubbling paint cup issues on my Neo CN with no success, the new tip did the trick.  For good measure, I replaced the needle as well.  I now know to be very gentle when seating the needle, or you can flare your tip.  I couldn't make bubbles appear, even with water.  I had almost forgotten how much more enjoyable it is to paint with a properly functioning airbrush.  I had quite a wait to get the new parts.  I admit I only tried from one source, but I hope this isn't going to be an issue with the Neo.

I almost hate to resurrect this old thread, but my replacement parts finally came in and I wanted to give an update.  After trying the obvious things (cleaning, beeswax) to cure the bubbling paint cup issues on my Neo CN with no success, the new tip did the trick.  For good measure, I replaced the needle as well.  I now know to be very gentle when seating the needle, or you can flare your tip.  I couldn't make bubbles appear, even with water.  I had almost forgotten how much more enjoyable it is to paint with a properly functioning airbrush.  I had quite a wait to get the new parts.  I admit I only tried from one source, but I hope this isn't going to be an issue with the Neo.

My experience, too!

Wow that's odd I had great success right out of the box but it doesn't take much for one to not work properly. I've since put it aside and use it for my wife's finger nails (hey you gotta keep the peace right) :halo: It was getting hard to explain all the packages coming in from Chicago airbrush supply!

The Neo was Iwata's shot at producing a cheaper, introductory level airbrush. One of the things they did to bring the price down was to have it produced in Taiwan where manufacturing costs were cheaper. The Neo is supposedly built to Iwata's specifications, but with cheaper labor. Does that mean the specs on the Neo are built with the same tolerances as their more expensive airbrushes? I can't say for sure, but I highly doubt it. When the Neo first came out I read a lot of reviews about it on some of the larger airbrushing sites and very few experienced painters had much good to say about it. Have things changed since the Neo's first debut? I'm sure they have, but you can't get past the fact that the Neo is still an entry level airbrush that has had corners cut to make the price lower. 

When I first started painting I tried going the cheaper route by buying cheaper airbrushes. After dealing with parts being hard to get as well as numerous other problems I bit the bullet and bought a high end airbrush. Are my painting abilities equal to what the higher end brush is capable of doing? Not even close, but I don't deal with a bunch of problems and parts are readily available. Just the fact that I don't have to deal with the frustration is money well spent for me.

just my :twocents:

Ben

My neo has had numerous air leaks I have used Chapstick small pieces of Teflon and time getting the leaks stopped but still couldn't get it it shoot paint well I have cleaned it numerous times and tried again and again didn't want to give up on it but I finally had enough and retired it to the junk closet could have just got a bad one but it burnt me so I bought the eclipse and a grex wish it would have worked though I have a $20 harbor freight burs that shoots better than my neo