mlamb7

Repainting old baits

I do not have any experience at all on reworking old crankbaits and would like to know a good place to start. I have old Crankbaits that are in good shape but need to be repainted or refinished. Any suggestions for a beginner such as tools, paint, etc. Thanks

Get your self a good air brush and start off with acrylic paint such as found at Wal-mart or any craft store. The paint will need to be thinned in order to shoot unless you buy a air brush ready type paint such as Createx. You will also need to prime the lure before painting with a white primer. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Acrylic paint if water based is thinned with water.

A decent airbrush is a Passche VL double action.

A double action airbrush- when you push down you get air,

when you pull back you get paint. It is adjustable to the amount of

paint you get.

I use Kilz primer and Krylon.

Both dry quickly. You need to sand the old baits with at least a 320

paper.

Use Devcon 2 ton epoxy for a finish coat--it rocks.

Coley

mlamb7,

Refinishing old lures is not too bad. If the finish is all that is dull or scratched, then just lightly sand the lure to make it smooth. If they have holes and gouges then sand off the clearcoat, fill the holes and gouges with wood putty and then sand the lure smooth. You do not have to remove all of the old paint. Just what is loose and jagged. White undercoat the lure and then shoot your colors. Clearcoat with Devcon 2 ton epoxy. If your lips are crooked, the belly weight is off center, or the body is not straight, then before you paint the lure is the time to do these things. If you are not sure how to do these things then send me some email, tell me what the problems are, and I will tell you how to do this.

Skeeter