Used it some on spoons and stuff . Never tried it on a crank . You can make 3D eyes with it too . Just chuck a leather hole punch in a drill press . put a piece of tape on a thick plastic sheet . Use the drill press as a manual punch press . You can cut 600 an hour . Put a pupil in the center and a drop of epoxy over that . This takes a while but worth it in a pinch .

Guys have been using it for a long time (prior to me joining in 2004) and and I have always been under the impression when I saw "foiled" that almost all mean the tape.  It burnishes really well and can be made to stretch around and cover intricate detail.  A lot of information hidden throughout the years about its use.

Hawg as far as adding scale patterns the main ways are adhere netting to the bait first then burnish the foil over it or press the detail into the foil and then apply.  Here is one using the first method.  Just a light spray adhesive first lay the netting onto the bait.  I had not burnished the foil yet on this on but really helps get a nicer finish (shiner and more detail).

DSC_0122.jpg

Edited by Travis

toadfrog, Thanks for the info about the lure eyes. I am going to try that next time I get into my shop!

HAWGFAN, Thanks! On this bait I pressed the foil tape into a thick wire screen like thing that I found at a local dollar store. It was a paper organizer for a desk that I bought for a buck and just cut out the section that I needed. I have not tried gluing the netting to the bait before adding the tape like Travis suggested, but that looks great! I am going to experiment with that too!

Travis, I have seen baits similar to the one in your picture that have been listed on ebay and I could not figure how he did it. But I do now! LOL! Thank you!

Yeah I you can use several tools to press the desired scaling into the foil before applying as mentioned above or you can do it after in some instances.  Take a knurled knob from a tool (rathchet handle, file, etc...) and roll it across the foil once on the bait and transfer the pattern.  

• Like 1

I use the Venture Brite-Bak tape A-Mac. The thing I like about it is that it's relatively thin and has a strong adhesive backing. Some of the adhesive backed foil I've used doesn't have that strong of an adhesive and it wants to lift up around the edges. Especially where it laps up onto the curved "shoulders" of a lure.

I've got one holographic foil that I really like the pattern it has, but the adhesive is weak. Ended up cleaning the adhesive off with acetone and applying the contact cement like that used on counter tops to both the foil and the lure. This works, but it's a PITA because of the extra steps, extra time and you have to be really careful to place the foil exactly where you want it the first time because it ain't going anywhere once it's down.

If you run into problems send me a PM and I will try to help. Don't want to get too far off topic in this thread.

Ben

I think you run into a problem of scale (no pun intended) when talking about types of reflective foil on a bait.  HVAC tape can be fine on a big musky lure but not so great looking on a 2" bass bait because of its thickness and the problems you run into trying to hide the edges of the tape.  Like RayburnGuy, I like the Venture Brite-Bak tape on bass baits because it's thin and you can burnish the edges so they disappear.  It also saves me a step - I don't have to apply a coat of epoxy over the foil to hide the edges, so I just go right to paint (some do, some don't).

The tape I get from the supply house is called VentureTape. The only one they carry ( and the only one I have ever used ) is the CW tape. That is short for Cold Weather Formula. I have used it on baits that are 4" long up to the 12" and 14" baits as well. However, I always put one coat of epoxy on before I start painting because sometimes the edges do show on the smaller baits. If you are looking for other Venture tapes, they have a website. www.venturetape.com