bigbrown

Big Fish Bait!

Hey guys i am trying a new thing out with the gold super shad rap rapalas. I am catching chubs which is the main forage for the browns im fishing for and then i skin the chubs leaving all the fins/tail on the skin and i slide it over the bait which fits almost perfectly then i paint the eyes and gills onto the skin and then i devcon the whole lure. On some of them i will leave strips of skin without devconning them so i can have the scent when im fishing them. But when i got up to the lake the action on them was totally gone and they went to there sides alot!!!! very dissapointing!!! i was wondering if any of you guys that make these swimbaits and stuff know how i could get it to still have the out of the box action or atleast any action at all with the skin and the tale/fins still attached? this would help me out tons!!! thanks so much,

bigbrown

BB,

Years ago I tried something similar with a shrimp pattern I was working on, used the exoskeleton (outer shell) to glue on the body and then finished over it...they did look very realistic but can't remember if I ever caught anything on them.

I am not surprised that the action changed on the shad raps. I have had similar problems when trying to add tails to cranks. I am guessing too that you would likely find the skin would change color over time and or decompose giving you further problems. You may be able to compensate for this by putting the skin through a tanning process in which the moisture and all biological life is removed but why bother. My suggestion would be to find a picture of the "chubs" and photo finish it on the bait. In the end you will have something that looks as or more realistic and will last literally years if done correctly. What is photo finish? Do a search on this topic, Lincoya has a post that very accurately describes the process.

As far as building a bait that runs I would suggest doing a search on the topic, there is literally a thousands posts on this site describing how this can be done. Chip has some wonderful tutorials so you might search on his name. Don't give up!! It's a blast, keep asking questions.

Good luck.

Jed

thanks riverman,

actually i thought i would run into them losing color and stuff too but i have had them made for a good 3 weeks atleast now and they look the exact same as they did when i put them on! devcon is amazing stuff. i have never done a photo finish bait, im interested in it because i want that same scale pattern as a chub but what im really looking for is being able to have all those fins that they have and the scent off the skin because we didnt put any scent on them when we put them in the lake and when we brought them in the were just as smelly as a real chub.thanks for all the info riverman!! i just hope someone will be able to tell me how to keep all the stuff on the bait and still get that out of the box action or maybe even better action. thanks again riverman!!

bigbrown