Bluff-Bassin

Help Finding Correct Jig Mold

I am looking to find a mold for a weedless wire tube jig that is very popular on a local river for small mouth.  I have found several molds which looks correct except none of them seem to have a wire included.  Here is the mold that I believe is similar http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Tube-Skirt-Jig-Molds-P213.aspx Anyone know of any do-it molds that would work? or will I have to modify one of the basic tube jig head molds?  If that's the case any tips on how to make this viable?  Appreciate any responses and tips.

1hin.jpg

I have modified molds to accept 90# steel leader for weedguard.  The way I did it was tape a wire where I want the weedguard to be and close the mold.  Then I tighten it way down I a vice.  I press it a couple of times and see if my leader will fit.  If it doesn't I increase the size of the wire and do it again till I get it right.

I have also cut slots with my dremel tool but like the other way better.

This one looks like a match as far as the shape

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Tapered-Tube-Skirt-Jig-Molds-P209.aspx

Yes your right, it is the one with the tapered end.  Thanks!

Off subject question.

Bluff-Bassin, how do you get that jig into a tube with the weed guard exposed without tearing it up?

What we do is bend the wire straight up and insert the tip of the wire first.  It will poke out near but not exactly at the top.  I then bend the wire down and it will tear just a really small hole, almost perfect for the guard and the eye to pop through.    Heres a pic that might help explain

gtu6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input.  Do any of you use the wacky jig mold and the Do-it wacky jighead wire?  I was curious if the wire is simlar in stiffness to the jig head I'm wanting to make.  If not I'll have to find my own wire.  Thats a 3/8 ounce head in the pic for reference

I made some of these last year and found that the wire was not a stiff as I wanted so I went back and made more but I put 2 wires in each of them...they worked much better.

I made some of these last year and found that the wire was not a stiff as I wanted so I went back and made more but I put 2 wires in each of them...they worked much better.

Yeah that is my main concern.  I really like the one wire this tube jig I added above has.  I've looked at home  depot and walmart for a wire similar to it but have been unable to come up with anything close.  Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find wire like that?  I'd assume it comes in a long strand and they just cut it to whats needed

Yeah that is my main concern.  I really like the one wire this tube jig I added above has.  I've looked at home  depot and walmart for a wire similar to it but have been unable to come up with anything close.  Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could find wire like that?  I'd assume it comes in a long strand and they just cut it to whats needed

We sell coil wire used for making weedguards. 

Without knowing the diameter I cannot say which size it it but they are at the following link.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Stainless-Steel-Coil-Wire--P909C124.aspx

We sell coil wire used for making weedguards. 

Without knowing the diameter I cannot say which size it it but they are at the following link.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Stainless-Steel-Coil-Wire--P909C124.aspx

Thank you.  I'll have to give some a try.  I won't hold it again you if your wrong but do you have a guess as to which might look close to the one in the picture? 

Thank you.  I'll have to give some a try.  I won't hold it again you if your wrong but do you have a guess as to which might look close to the one in the picture? 

There really is no way to determine that from the picture.

The 3 sizes we sell for weedguards are 0.011, 0.012 and 0.013.

As you can see the difference between them is small. 

If I were doing this I would just go for the middle size or buy all three sizes.

The price per coil is only about $1.50 each so not much lost is they don't work.

McMaster Carr has all the stn. stl wire you will need in almost any wire diameter. Check out their website. Find out what diameter you want or have and they will have it. All you have to do is cut it to length, bend it or anything else you want to do to the wire.

Edited by cadman

Thanks for all the input.  Do any of you use the wacky jig mold and the Do-it wacky jighead wire?  I was curious if the wire is simlar in stiffness to the jig head I'm wanting to make.  If not I'll have to find my own wire.  Thats a 3/8 ounce head in the pic for reference

Go to your local hobby store and ask for music wire. They come 5 strands to a bundle. Bring the wire with you to match the size. The wires are about 3 feet long.