scrubs

Jigs, Fixtures And Techniques For Tiny Plugs

I've had some success with the small CD-5 Countdown Rapalas and I'm starting to try my hand at making them. I made up some patterns for the CD-1 (1"), CD-3 (1.5") and CD-5 (2"). Started with a CD-5 and man this stuff is tiny.

One thing I've come up with so far is gluing up the balsa bodies from 3 thicknesses, 2 outside pieces and a 1/32 core. The core is only in the upper half and it makes sure I get the wire in the center.

Another thing is making up some small sanding blocks with a groove in the center.

Whittler and Mark Twain are the only guys on this site I've seen making tiny stuff. Anybody else have some ideas for shaping these?

bill

You can find appropriate sizes of tubing, like pvc. Saw them in half. Then glue or rubber cement some sandpaper to the inside for even curves. Should work okay on small baits if you use smaller sized tubing.

Another thing thing you could do is belly wire, especially if you are epoxying anyway. Instead of 3 pieces, just use two. Cut and sand the pieces to the correct profile when viewed from the side. Then lightly sand a little bevel on the bottom INSIDE edge of each piece. When put back together, this will create a small grove along the midline on the bottom of the bait. Put the formed wire in this groove. You might need a little super glue to tack it in place. Then when you epoxy, the epoxy will fill the groove, holding he wire in. I wouldn't trust it to a Muskie, but if you think of it a through-wire in epoxy must be more secure than through balsa.

Besides being simpler and easier, The epoxy/wire combo would even provide enough ballast for a small bait!

Craig

Shaping such tiny lures is finacky .

I would make them in a way to use  a rectangular wood dowel of proper dimensions and cut the slot for the internal wire harness all along the length at first .

The dowel should be just a tad longer than two lures , as you would shape two lures out of it connected with a little stem at the particular thicker body ends inbetween , this way you could always use one blank to hold on whilst shaping the other , ....separate them in the end and round off the stem ends .

After having cut out the belly and back outline(dowel still rectangular , never rounded) you would cut the lip slots , much more accurate to turn out properly angled this way rather than cutting them on a rounded blank , ....rounding off belly and back comes last .

Learned this method of the two connected blanks out of one dowel on an Australian site , I find it very handy , especially with small lure blanks , that are somewhat too tiny to hold whilst carving/sanding .

Greetz , Dieter :yay:

Thanks guys.

dbt,

I have a Lowes close by I'll check it out.

Travis,

I've got the mandrel already so an east test.

Clemmy,

I'm doing that but with grooved sanding blocks. But the tube might be easier to handle I'll try it. Part of the reason I'm using the groove is something I saw about using lead sheet in the groove for weighting.

Diemai,

That's a good idea about a blank two lures long. The Rapala nose could be easily shaped afterwards. Yeah they are finnicky to work on but I doubt if the trout would hit my Muskie and Pike lures. :-)

bill

My issue with the dremel for shaping balsa is so soft that it actual is more of hindrance than help.  Sanding paddles are quick and no issues.  Glueing up your own is easy but the last time I just used the sticky backed random orbit sander stuff.  For grooves I just do two pieces and press to leave the indentation of the wire.  Typically I just use a triangle file on its edge and one soft pass and good to glue up.

Like Nathan, I also use the Emeryville boards. I prefer the one with the foam in them and them come in different "grits" if u look at them. For small baits I like to cut them down to 1/8" widths. Makes it easier to do small baits or small areas.

Nathan, Jim and xtx,

Thanks for yet more ideas.

I found something that helps me hold the tiny ones while shaping. I used half a hacksaw blade to open up the slot for the wire. So after the bottom was rough shaped I mounted the body on the blade. Teeth keep it in place.Really helps in shaping the top.

bill

Thanks for everyone's responses. I think I'm getting a better handle on it.

I was fooling around last night and I pulled out some extra large mylar tubing like is used for fly tying. Slipped some of the rainbow hued tube over one of the mini blanks and WOW that stuff looks great. I'll still need to prime and attach it with epoxy but I really am liking this idea.

bill

Scrub:

I also make some small lures and I have found these small radius contour sanders from Woodcraft handy.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2005237/10567/complete-sanding-pad-set-4-piece.aspx

145958.jpg

I have no business connection with Woodcraft!

Jim P

Hi JimP my name is Jeff Francis where in Northern WV are you ,from?  I am from Follansee but now live in Lake Charles, La.

Jeff

Another way to make a radius sanding block, is to drill the appropriate sized hole in a block of scrap wood, then saw in half.

That's the way I do it now and it works ok. Certainly is the cheapest option. What do you attach the sandpaper with? I've been using either thick CA or Duco.

bill

I buy the thin foam pads at hobby lobby. Spray some craft glue on it and stick a sheet of sand paper on. It makes sanding so much easier!

That's a great idea too. Being a fly tyer I have lots of those in a couple of thicknesses.

Man, you guys are giving me ideas for so much I already have around the house.

bill

Scrub:

I also make some small lures and I have found these small radius contour sanders from Woodcraft handy.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2005237/10567/complete-sanding-pad-set-4-piece.aspx

145958.jpg

I have no business connection with Woodcraft!

Jim P

Haha, I have a woodcraft about 5 miles away.  They have a business connection with me for sure!  It is a dangerous place to walk into, especially if it was payday.