FatSack

Question About Speeding Up Dry Time With Heat. Im Using Epoxy Top Coat.

I was wondering if anybody has built a drying box or used heat to cure lures as they turn. If so how did it work? How much quicker did they dry? Any issues? I'm considering building a drying box I can put my lure turner in. Thought about using a heat lamp to raise temp. I'm using BS and D2T. Please share your experiences. I know there are alternate top coats but that's not my question. Happy with coatings I'm using, my limited painting time and short lead time on requests is an issue occasionally.

Some TUers use a heat box to speed epoxy curing times.  A couple regular incandescent light bulbs in a box lined with tin foil will do the trick.  One consideration - you may not want the motor of your lure turner inside the box if you think it will malfunction due to heat.  Reports are the box shortens cure time considerably.  I don't know the temp at which it harms the finish or the lure, but would be careful.  If you make wood lures, the air inside will want to get out and will bubble your epoxy if it can get past the lure's undercoating.  On plastic lures, they will blow up if heated enough.

Some manufacturers warn against curing epoxy too fast, since that may compromise its physical properties.  Can't say what is "too fast" but the stuff is designed to cure at 70-75 degrees F.

I'm never in a hurry, so the topic is purely academic for me!

Edited by BobP

I use a heat box but it isn't to get a faster cure time it is to get a normal cure time.  I am in the north and most epoxies normal cure temp is between 70 and 85 degrees.  Without the heat box it can take up to a week for a full cure for me.  I also use the box to level out my epoxy.  With a heat box and a lure turner all of your brush strokes will level out.  If you get your box to hot it can make your epoxy drip off of your baits like water.

Unless you're like bass100 and don't have a choice because of where you live....I'd let it dry/cure naturally. That way you know you're getting the intended results. There are times that I have to use a space heater just until my epoxy tacks off so I can stop the rotation......and I live in s. Louisiana. This Cajun air has been coooold this winter.

Epoxies have an optimum temp for curing. The Bob Smith epoxies claim they have to be cured above 70 degrees F. Not sure what the upper limit is. If your wanting to get the best cure out of your epoxies it would be wise to visit their websites and see what they recommend. If they don't list the optimum temps I have no doubt that an email to them would get you all the info needed.

Ben

I use Etex lite & turn them overnite & they're still tacky so I take 'em off the turner & put 'em in a small refrigerator that I gutted & wired in a 100 watt light bulb socket, I set a timer on the plug-in for 1 1/2 hours with 2 hour off then another 1/2 on. this will speed up my cure-time in a cool basement enviroment.