A-Mac

Thick Gloss Topcoat Paint

I'm not sure if this exists, but I'm trying to find a product similar to createx gloss top coat only thicker.  I really like using it as a sealer over pvc and resin lures to smooth the surface before painting as well as a topcoat before dipping in concrete sealer.  I was just wondering if there was one out there that has an even heavier topcoat, preferably a water base.

Thanks!

Don't know about a thick water base A-Mac, but you might try the old method of dipping them in a white lacquer. I know Poe's used this method to both seal and level out any imperfections in their baits. Seems like a lot of bait companies used this method years ago. I think they just dipped them and hung them up to dry.

Ben

Oh yeah, I remember why I don't use propionate!  I've never been able to get the solution to cure clear, which sucks for foil coating, though it's perfect for sealing a balsa lure.  Even using lacquer thinner it would still come out cloudy and dull. However,  I've never been able to find the "virgin" lacquer thinner that I'm supposed to use.

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I've heard humidity is the root of the problem, but I've had the same responses even when humidity was 15%.  Heck, I figured this stuff should be a piece-o-cake to use in drought stricken Texas.

@ Cougarftd, Thanks for the tip.  have you dipped GST over propionate yet?  Any adverse reactions?

@Hawgfan, this seal-coat stuff sounds like something I should have in the arsenal of airbrush stuff anyway.  Since I recently found out Barlows is only an hour away, I may have to make another trip!  Same question goes for this stuff though, have you noticed any adverse reactions to GST or other concrete sealers?

A-Mac, I haven't used any concrete sealers yet, so I can't say.  Seal-Coat is designed for dipping jig heads.  A friend turned me on to it, but I have basically no experience with it yet.  I glued a twisted wire in a piece of balsa with it, and it seems strong.  I didn't test to failure, but I pulled hard enough to slip the drag on any of my reels, and it held.  It is about the viscosity of thin syrup.  From what I saw on the surface of my raw piece of balsa, It appeared to penetrate the wood a bit.  It could also prove to be a good balsa sealer.  I don't know how the durability would be as far as a crankbait finish coat.  The low viscosity would lead to lots of dripping/running, I assume.  Anything coated in this stuff will probably work best on a wheel.  In time, I'm sure I'll find some good uses for it.

The slower drying thinner/reducer will slow the evaporation of the solvent, rapid evaporation is what cause condensation to form on the surface or trapped in the finish. Retarder or a high temperature thinner/reducer or solvent will stop the problem.

Thanks!  I'll have to pic some up next time I'm at the paint shop.

Ok, I did a test with the propionate on a separate lure.  It fogged up, I dipped it in pure acetone until it went clear.  From then on, it stayed clear.  I went to do the same on the lure I'm working on, only I had holographic tape over a portion of the foil.  Well, it ate it.  The bad thing is, i did a propionate dip on a strip of the tape first with no issues!

Eh well.  After stripping the foil and starting over (yuck), I did a few createx clear sprays on the lure and did a few heavy coats brushed on the top and bottom.  It didn't take much effort with a kerosene heater drying it in between coats.  It's pretty smooth.  I think by the time I get done painting the top and bottom and doing 4 coats of E-supreme it will look fine.  I'm thinking the Seal-Coat may be worth trying for future use.

Don't know about a thick water base A-Mac, but you might try the old method of dipping them in a white lacquer. I know Poe's used this method to both seal and level out any imperfections in their baits. Seems like a lot of bait companies used this method years ago. I think they just dipped them and hung them up to dry.

Ben

Hey Ben!

What is white lacquer and where do you get it. I have never heard of this.

Thanks

Royce