mark poulson

Reliable Lead Source

Mark,

I buy 99.9% pure and also lead with 5-7% antimony. If you want to have minimal problems buy the purest you can afford.

I checked the site the other day when you posted it and was wondering which on you get. I go through over 300#'s a year, have all the free wheel weights I want, but like to mix it with the good stuff.

How much do you have to buy for the free shipping.

Bob.

I was just on the site today. I see they have lead pig ingot 52-55 lbs 99.9% pure for $115.99 w/ free shipping.

Also they have Antimonial lead ingot (4- 6% antimony lead) $10.45 for approx 5 lbs per ingot. w/ free shipping.

It also says free shipping for website orders over $99.00 with the green truck icon.

Last year I got about 800 lbs all w/ free shipping

Bob.

I was just on the site today. I see they have lead pig ingot 52-55 lbs 99.9% pure for $115.99 w/ free shipping.

Also they have Antimonial lead ingot (4- 6% antimony lead) $10.45 for approx 5 lbs per ingot. w/ free shipping.

It also says free shipping for website orders over $99.00 with the green truck icon.

Last year I got about 800 lbs all w/ free shipping

What is the largest jig you make on a regular basis? I thought you mostly poured below 1oz.  That is a LOT of lead if you are going through that in one year lol.

Bob,

You are absolutely correct. The biggest I currently pour is 1 oz. and have been getting a lot of orders for bigger jigs However, the last couple years, I have poured a boat load of raw jigs. Last year I went through 600 lbs of lead.Then this year, it all started off with them being all painted. Currently I'm swamped with orders. I have enough work to last me until June. It's going to be a busy Spring. Then throughout the rest of the year I get quit a few orders, and finally November through January it gets busy again. In some ways I like it because I stay busy, in other ways it gets to be like a job, but I only do what I can handle, and I can afford to pick and choose what I want to do. So, I stay busy to stay out of trouble.

Roto-metals is the way to go, I agree 100% with Cadman!!! What I like is I can buy pure lead along with 3%-5% antimony in 5lb ingots and get free shipping over $100. The nice thing is I know what I got and it makes for consistent casting. I break down the pure lead into 1lb ingots with my ingot mold and the antimony lead in 1/2lb ingots, I've been asked why I do it and here it is, the reason is it allows me to store both in the same area and still tell them apart so I get consistent alloys. I did the scrap lead and wheel weights and I separated good lead which was sheet lead I was getting, from the wheel weight lead but breaking them down as I mentioned before but when I ruined 10lbs of lead with 1lb of high zinc content wheel weight lead I quit using it and began to get it from roto-metals.

I'm phasing out of lead casting and have:

Pb95 Sn5 = 95% lead - 5% tin

Lyman #2 = 90% lead - 5% tin - 5% antimony

Metals sources are lead plumbers blocks, foundry antimony, and branded lead-tin solder or pure tin bars. No mystery scrap ingredients, except some plumber's lead may have had a trace 1/2% or less antimony added as a hardener.

$2 per lb. + postage.

hawnjigs@yahoo.com

Geez, no takers? OK, offer withdrawn. 

Sorry but I can buy it locally for $1 a pound and no shipping from a local scrap yard.

I just bought 750# for $.90 a pound locally from a small business that had salvaged it. It is 100% soft lead stripped off of some lead coated copper wire.

I have a friend who might be interested in your lyman #2. How much do you have of just that?

Sorry, no longer available. I was offering alloys, not straight lead, which component metals add significant cost. Rotometals has Lyman #2 available for around $3 per lb.

I can get $3.20 per lb. locally by casting into sinkers.

Edited by hawnjigs