ravenlures

Featherlite For Musky Baits

Ok  I know that this was talked about but most of the talk is about bass baits. I would like to cast a 8" musky bait. with Featherlite or Alumilite not sure which one yet. I make my lure out of cedar now. I would like to make many, maybe 300 to 500 a year so any suggestions before I start on this project. I am also thinking of having a aluminum mold made but silicone will do for now till al testng i done. It would be a two part mold and  would like to make it wire through, plus if I could put the lip in also, not sure on that. 

Any thoughts.

Wayne

ravenlures

Wayne,

Another option for you is rigid foam.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10/index.html

I just cast a few muskie lures with the 15 lbs foam and am anxious to paint them up. Solid stuff and just the right density I was looking for with a floating lure. I used to slush mold with alumilite shell and 6 lbs foam, which worked well enough, but this new single stage process is going to get a try for simplicity.

I have tried alumilite with micro balloons, but felt it was a bit harder to mold. The mix ends up thicker and doesn't pour as well into the mold. Baits turned out ok, but the pour hole needs to be bigger to account for the thicker goop. I have no experience with feather lite.

Good luck with your project.

Rocko

Rock

Featherlite has the micro ballons already mixed in it I am also looking at trying to mix the 320 foam 

with 610 they say you can do it. It will take a little or more than a little testing this summer to get what I want. Which is a good easy pour musky bait. Just wondering did you use screws or wire through.

Wayne

I used both. For screw eyes, I wrap thin brass wire around the ends into a ball before putting it in the mold. It resembles a chicken leg, but it's not coming out after the foam hardens over it. One bait has through wire, but is a rotating head topwater bait. I have no qualms recommending the screw eyes if you reinforce them a bit with the extra ball of wire.

Thanks rock

I guess all is going to happen when I start to try out some of the mixes. I don't have much time because of humidity which plays havoc with plastic pours.It seems that pouring time is between Sept. through March or April. As far as screws its a toss up with through wire, through wire is a little cheaper but it takes time to make. I am looking for these small flat washers that I can screw in a .092 screw the type they use on auto body and that would reinforce the screw. Don't know what they call them but I'll check out today. One other question do you put in the lips first or last.  Good luck with your project.

Wayne

Have you thought about using cotter pins for hook hangers?  I used to use them for my swimbait hook anchors and ballasting, pushed through the hole in an egg sinker and then spread to make a wide anchor.  I set mine in epoxy, but your foam should be plenty strong by itself if you pour them in.

You could probably just T the tail ends and they'd never come out.