mark poulson

Broken Carbon Reel Handle

Last Christmas I bought two of the Team Lew's Pro TLP1SH baitcasters. I love the reels.

They have the 80mm bowed carbon fiber handle.
I had the handle on one of them break yesterday.
On a hookset, the handle on the side with the knob that I was holding for the hookset broke. 
Has anyone else had this happen?

Bob,

I also have a lot of rods on both sides of my front deck, so my first thought was, did I step on it?  But it was on the left side of my deck, so I think not.  I am not a ballerina any more, since I have sciatica.  I don't move around that much up there.  I tend to stand either directly behind the TM pedal, or on the right side, because my balance is better from that side.  I do step on the handles of the rods on the right side sometimes, but it's usually just barely on the knobs, and I'm used to working on scaffolds, so I am very aware when I step on things and keep things out of the way.  In all my years of fishing I have guillotined a rod with my trolling motor, but I've never broken one by stepping on it.  Watch, now that I've said that, I'll probably go out and break one the next trip!  Hahaha

These are my first Lew's reels, so I really didn't know what to expect, but my friend has several and really likes them, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  I bought two on sale for $150+- each.  Aluminum frame and side plates, 11 ball bearings, both centrifugal and magnetic brakes, 5.9 oz., I figured it was worth taking a chance.

With computer controlled machining all of the new reels are amazing now.

These reels are a pleasure to fish with, and cast like a dream.  

It's funny, but the only thing I don't like is their handle, which is only 80mm long.  When I first looked at them in my hand, I thought they would be too small.  But I don't really notice it when I'm fishing with them.

I spoke to Alison, the customer service rep. for Lew's, and she's going to see if they can send me another handle.  That would be great.  

Fingers crossed!

But dad, the dog did it!

I actually went out and put some crazy glue into the cracked/delaminated spots, and then held them clamped with a pair of needle nose pliers.  It seems to be holding fine, at least until I get the new handles.  I bought one for the second reel I have from Lew's, so I covered the cost of their shipping.  Hahaha

The replacement handles Lew's sent me are a much more finished looking product.  The original handle had square edges, and was thicker.  The new handles have eased edges, and seem to be thinner and more refined.

The new handles have different knobs, but I don't really notice any difference fishing with them.

Edited by mark poulson