This the latest development on a machine I designed a few years ago called the Dupli-k8r.
This machine is inspired from 2 tiny photos from:
I'm under the impression that the machine is of Lee Sissons design
& after talking with a fella that used to work with it said the cost was around 20,000..... while necessity is the mother of all invention, being broke will spark the creative juices also
The concept machine below is made from approximately half a sheet of 3/4" luan & various other easily obtainable parts
Now to cover my ass real quick
"WE" as in Tackleunderground.com, its owners, affiliates, & members assume no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials.
THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
We do not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the
information, text, graphics,links or other items contained within these materials.
We shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, physical or
consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, or lost limbs
which may result from the use of these materials. The information on this server is
subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment on the part of
us in the future.
I finally rushed thru a concept version of my duplik8r to test the basic design. If you understand the operation, you'll see its basically a glorified apple peeler & works in the same fasion. I was worried that the overall concept wouldnt work so I rushed thru a quick build to test it (due in part to the "pestering" provided by the community here )
I'm very pleased with the result. I was wondering if the angle grinder would take the side load force of cutting in a spiral & it did fine.
I was also worried about the RPM of the blank. I figured it would cut the blank while it rotated about 60 rpm, but i pushed it to 120rpm & it could've took more. With using a #20 allthread rod/drive that equals out to cutting a 4.5" bait in under a minute.
NOTE questions are welcomed, but please dont attempt to build this thing yet, I put it here for inspiration & to prove it could be done, yet its full of issues that mostly hindered the original duplik8r such as below:
Runs off of one single motor
Cuts faster than the original duplik8r
Relatively small in size @ 3'x1'x2'
No software (yet) John K? :idea:
Adjusts from 2" to 9" baits
Vaccum can be attached easily
more automation with added limit switches
Only does 1 bait at a time (have to replace fresh blank every cycle)
Original bait needs square ends (like a lathed blank)
Pain to change out blanks
Must manually reverse the motor to reset the cycle. (doubles production time)
Made from wood - (but its just a concept piece)
Restricted to max. 7/8 dia. baits (due to small cutting blade)
Slight wear on the original woodbait (can be fixed by casting sacrificial Duplicates with epoxy or poly-resin)
No safety measures (yet)
Basic parts used:
1) Var speed drill
1) bicycle chain & 3) rear deraileur sprockets (white one was cast from liquid plastic )
2) 1/4" allthread rod
10) 7/8 od - 5/16 id roller blade bearings
2) 12" ball bearing (accuride) drawer slides
4) 1.25" PVC caps
1) angle grinder with a 4" biscut joiner saw blade attached
2) hinges (for tracer & cutting arm)
HDPE (polyethelyne sheet) for various wear plates (seen white)
Right after I ran the first test an Idea smacked me in the head, so I'm gonna attempt to rebuild it to allow me to feed an 8 foot piece of stock into it instead of adding fresh blanks after every cycle.
Like I said, the basic concept works & works well. My main focus from here will be to adjust the design to allow better feeding of the wood to make it more automated. Adding switches & limits to the frame will make it safer, adding guards, vaccuum etc.