tjo243

Resin Swimbait Floating Level

Hey guys! First time posting, but have been lurking the site for along time, love the information on here. I have been making wooden baits for awhile now, and now I am in the process of making a resin bait, Mostly swimbaits. Although I have not made my first pour I am just running some things through my head that might cause an issue. The baits I am molding are fairly large and have a larger belly. I am concerned that when they hit the water they will flip upside down or sideways, I was wondering if anyone had a idea for keeping their larger resin baits straight up. I have heard of making them thinner at the bottom and thicker at the top but i want to keep the fat belly feature. Is it possible to pour one half of the resin with no MB (The bottom) and the other half with MB (The top). Another possible idea would just be positioning lead weights into the mold. Anything on what has worked for you guys in the past would be awesome!  

The lead ballast will take care of the attitude. It is possible to fix the lead in the mold before pouring, but I have never tried. I have always drilled holes for the lead.

Dave

x2.  Your hooks will have a surprising impact on the balance too.  I've tried pouring with lead in place, it is a major PITA.  It's much easier to drill.  Plus, sometimes the lead shifts around before you get to pour and can throw the bait out of wack.  A drill press is your friend!  if you plan to do several, get some modeling clay and position the bait's tail into a cast.  I did this to help consistently drill at the same angle into the lure each time.

x2.  Your hooks will have a surprising impact on the balance too.  I've tried pouring with lead in place, it is a major PITA.  It's much easier to drill.  Plus, sometimes the lead shifts around before you get to pour and can throw the bait out of wack.  A drill press is your friend!  if you plan to do several, get some modeling clay and position the bait's tail into a cast.  I did this to help consistently drill at the same angle into the lure each time.

That's the way I do mine too. The drill angle can be fine tuned by sanding the bottom of the casting.

Dave