VanderLaan

Gst & Wrinkling Paint

Dipped 11 J-Plugs today and 9 wrinkled almost immediately. Did some research and think that it was probably the result of a too heavy base coat. I will likely hold the blow dryer on the plugs when heat setting the paint as well. Is there anything else that I should consider doing to avoid winkled paint?

Edited by VanderLaan

I use the createx clear coat 2 coats and heat set between before dipping. Seems to help on mine.

X2. Light coats and heat set. The cleat coat at the end is very important as well.

If they are going to wrinkle, it always happens immediately. If you're not selling them, it's kind of a cool look.

Just thought of something else that may be an issue. I read a post about certain lighter colored paints that seem more susceptible to wrinkling. Both of the lures that wrinkled on me recently had florescent yellow paint on them and that's where the wrinkling was the worst. Someone with a better grasp on chemistry may be able to explain that one. 

Edited by FrogAddict

I normally allow a couple hours dry time from base coat to the rest of the paint. I've been using a kerosene heater recently, and it has been excellent for heat setting. I still allow for at least a few hours of dry time away from heat before clearing. You do not want to clear a hot lure either! Patience is key in the final stages of a lure!

Be sure you put 2 coats of createx clear gloss on too!