BobP

Plastic Swim Baits Deep

One of my favorite lure presentations has become throwing a 5" hollow belly swimbait on a 3/4 oz conical jig head.  As much as I love crankbaits, the swimbait is a super easy tool to use when you want to probe different depths in open water.  No worries about whether it can reach the bottom in any depth of water and it has an action that bass really like.  I throw it on a MH 7' rod and a reel spooled with 20# braid with a 15# fluoro leader.  The swimbait casts like a rocket.  Most times, a slow steady retrieve is best.  If not, jerking it off the bottom and letting it flutter down again can work.  If the bass are in reaction mode, they'll nail it.

A swimbait with a big exposed hook is not something you want to throw into gnarly shore cover.  But it shines when fishing deep rocky reservoirs or when "ledge fishing" on river-run reservoirs.     

By far one of my favorite techniques and one that is truly underutilized and under appreciated by many.  I have caught some absolute hogs throwing swimbaits in deep water, as well as some stud flat head catfish.  Here's a nice largemouth I caught on a 25' ledge at the opening of the little pocket you can see in the background. 

DC3EE7FD-B1A7-44F0-8722-B5A2955A870F-7675-000005E6D01CC0EF_zpsc00d3e79.jpg

And here's a flathead who decided he wanted to see what a silver shad swimbait tasted like.  I thought I had a hog of a bass when I first hooked up only to be disappointed as soon as I felt the cat start spinning on the line haha.

713FEEC3-349F-4B6E-BAA7-867547ED7E36-1846-000002730788D78F_zps745b2372.jpg