Curt - NC

Next Lure Contest - Feedback Needed!

With the recent Coolest Lure Contest behind us, I wanted to get everyone's feedback and suggestions for ways to make future contests better!

Please post your "constructive" comments, feedback and suggestions here, so we can consider them for any future lure contests!

We'll take them and consider each and every one of them when the next contest rolls around.

Thanks in advance! :yay:

Thanks for the suggestion, Travis.

Unfortunately, once you pick a panel of "experts", objectivity can fly out the window. You're also now opening the contest up to accusations of favoritism, etc.

The system used for voting in the past contests will likely continue to be used for future contests.

From my experiences in the past only way that ends up being legit.  And experts easy to find as we have several that I have all the confidence they can pick out a good bait based on design, paint job, attention to details, etc... plus they know what it takes to actually make a bait.   Most open vote contests I have watched become nothing more than who has as many friends they can get to vote for them had nothing to do with being a good photo, lure, carving, etc....  Watched guys set up multiple accounts because of they had access to work computers, university computers, etc... and cast countless bogus votes for themselves just to win less than 50 dollar prizes  :lolhuh:

Edited by Travis

From my experiences in the past only way that ends up being legit.  And experts easy to find as we have several that I have all the confidence they can pick out a good bait based on design, paint job, attention to details, etc... plus they know what it takes to actually make a bait.   Most open vote contests I have watched become nothing more than who has as many friends they can get to vote for them had nothing to do with being a good photo, lure, carving, etc....  Watched guys set up multiple accounts because of they had access to work computers, university computers, etc... and cast countless bogus votes for themselves just to win less than 50 dollar prizes  :lolhuh:

Thanks Travis. I understand your concerns. And yes.. there may have been some who used multiple accounts to vote for their own bait. There were probably also some who told lots of their friends to sign up for a TU account for the sole purpose of voting for their bait.

Unfortunately, this is how it goes when human nature is involved. Some people will stoop to doing whatever it takes to win, even if it's unethical.

We'll keep your suggestions in mind for next year and see what direction it takes.

I agree with Travis, have people at LPO or board admins judge, when you put things to a vote you'll get winners based on how many friends someone has or how many PCs and mobile devices they have and a picture of a popsicle stick with a hook can end up winning because that is how it goes, ask Berkley about their contests on big fish, they shut it down because it became a facebook friends contest, please keep the integrity of this site, I'd rather not have any type of contest tnam one based on popularity instead of the overall look, function and originality of the lure that was entered.

• Like 1

Just a random thought about contests... you could have a little fun with them "sometimes" and have themed contests for Holidays?or Seasons? Or perhaps by just randomly picking a couple colors that have to be the main color pallet of the lure... just something to change up contests a bit that add a small but fun random touch to work towards.

• Like 1