Terrydabassman

Removing a Devcon 2 Ton finish

Oh man, let me tell you, (and no offense intended here to anybody) that was the most horrible job I've ever had.

I couldn't get the knife under it to "peel it right off".

I tried to "boil it" for no more than 1 minute, the trap looked like a prego bass and lop-sided at that. So I ended up throwing it away and buying a new one to replace it and refinish that one.

After tihs experience, I'm really sold on Devcon...tuff stuff for sure. If I couldn't get through it, what chance does a mere fishie have... even the toothy ones.

Just as an experiment the other day I took a Devcon covered bait and dropped it directly on the pavement in my garage. I dropped it again and again and finally after maybe 10 tries noticed a small chip near the nose of the bait. Took out the trusty Leatherman and tried to start peeling the stuff off...couldn't do it. I could get tiny pieces to splinter but never could get a large section to peel off. So long as the paint/stencil you have under the devcon has secured itself to the wood I think the Devcon will hold....just my experience.

Jed

If there is a "next time" Terry just throw it away and start over. It will take you far less time to rebuild from scratch then it does to deal with that mess. I can have a lure body ready for paint in 20 minutes. If you are interested in knowing how various products effect Devcon go to Devcon.com and check out the "technical data sheets".

RM