seanmarty93

Painting Eyes ?

Hi guys, Just wanted to pick your brains agian. I would like to paint my own eyes on my crankbaits. I messed around with a piece of scrap balsa using various size drill bits pencil erasers and nail heads. I wasn't very satisfied with my results. I'm sure the biggest problem was the paint I was using. I tried using acrylic paint I bought from the local craft store. After making the stamp of paint on the wood, when I pull away the nail/eraser/drill bit, It leaves a very unlevel surface of paint. The createx paints I use to airbrush seem to thin and wants to run. So I was hoping some of you more experienced fellas could point me in the right direction. Thanks! 

Sean

When I paint eyes on baits I use the airbrush and a piece of clear plastic with different sized holes in it. Also do kill spots this way. I like the clear plastic because it being transparent makes lining things up easier. When I paint the eyes I start just like I do when painting a lure by first spraying a base coat of white. This makes the following colors much brighter and makes them show up better when painting something like an orange eye on a red background. If you painted an orange eye on a red background without the white base coat you would have to spray numerous coats of orange before it stood out against the red background.

As far as using drill bits, nail heads, pencil erasers, etc. I've had better luck by first dipping in the paint and then touching it lightly to a piece of cardboard to remove some of the paint before touching it to the lure. I use Createx and Auto Air paints and by doing it this way haven't had any problems with them wanting to run.

Ben 

• Like 1

I do them with Ceramcoat, a thick acrylic paint intended for painting ceramics.  I use a cotton swab (the tightly wrapped generic brand from Walmart) for the eyes and a paint dauber (plastic stick with a little foam tip) for the irises.  Ceramcoat dries and works just like regular water based acrylic paint and goes on thick so it covers well and won't run.  I got mine at Michael's craft store but other craft places carry it in 4 oz bottles.

Sean- You are dead-on about the paint. Getting the right thickness makes all the difference in the world. I use createx paints. But I put some in very small containers just for painting eyes. Those containers I left open for a while to thicken the paint. I want the paint thick enough to make a thick flat glob on the end of the dowel when I dip it. But not so thick that it strings off after dotting the paint on the lure surface. It is something you will have to experiment with.

I use 6 different sizes of wooden dowels to paint eyes. The smallest for the pupil is the stick from a cotten tipped appicator (oversized medical Q-tip). I always sand the end of the dowel to remove leftover paint before starting. And to insure I have a nice smooth surface.

The other thing I might add is when I dot the paint on the lure. I make sure the dowel never touches the surface of the lure. That contact can lead to an uneven surface of the painted eye.

When I was first starting out I would spray a thin coat of rattle can clear on the front of my crankbait to protect my paint job. That way if I messed up the eyes. I could easily wipe it off and try again. 

That's just my 2 cents. I hope it helps.

Ernie

I've had good luck with one-shot lettering enamel. I use the back end of any drill bit that has a slightly beveled or chamfered edge. Flat cut ones don't work for me for some reason? Dip the bit in the paint, dab the bit once on a piece of paper then once on the bait. Down side is this paint takes a long time to dry so to paint the pupil you have to wait until the next day. Up side is the paint is very opaque so you can do any color you want over any base color without multiple coats. 

First I use a plastic template that I found. I think it was for drill sizes or something. What I do is dot where I want the center of the circle to lie on the bait with a marker. I do mask off the other adjacent holes on the template with blue tape. I forgot to do that once and some over spray ruined the lure. Then I simply line up the dot in the center of the appropriate opening on my template and spray my paint. Then I use the acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby to do the iris. I use a finish nail head. The key is to dab it in the acrylic and then dab it once on a scrap piece of cardboard to get the excess paint off. Then apply it to where you want the iris to show up. Not the only way to do it but is seems to work for me.

I like to make a shallow recess in the bait with a brad point bit. This recess creates a little dam that is in a perfect circle that holds my base coat into shape. I do have to build up paint or use a simple filler to fill the brad point hole. the base coat is usually thin and i use a small wire to insure that it gets to the edges. I use a 10/0 brush.

I like to use a black fingernail polish for the pupil because it will mound up to help the 3D effect. It sometimes takes two coats to build the mound. After it dries a small drop of 5 minute epoxy is placed on the eye, again the recess helps contain the glue in the shape of the eye. That is the part that gets a bit tricky.

If you're ambitious, you can use a brad point bit to drill an eye-sized recess, paint that, and then use Solarez to make 3D eyes by adding it drop by drop until it fills the recess.  Let that set in the sun for a minute, and then add a couple more drops to make the eye crown, and again let it set in the sun.

It's a way to get 3D eyes in the colors you want.

+1 on the circle template and blue tape. On my chug bugs I have been free-handing the eye with an airbrush and then painting the irises with the template. Took me a few tries, but it works pretty well. I found a circle template at Hobby Lobby for $3. Make sure you put the template on the lure with the sticky side of the tape facing up. :)

Edited by VanderLaan

It is a UV cured polyester resin, meant for surf board repairs, and I got mine here:

http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/gloss.html

And I got my UV nail curing light here:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/uv-nail-light

I bought the black 36 watt light that cost $25.95.

The sun will cure it pretty quickly, too.  I use both.

I hang my lures in the lure box, and turn them every 30 seconds, for three minutes total.

When I do a 3D eye, I take it out into to sun for a minute, and then add another layer, or turn the lure over and start the other eye.  It takes me two steps to make an eye.  The first fills in the recess, and the second makes the dome.  I am not the steadiest hand in the West, so maybe it can be done all in one pass, but I can't do it.

Once the eyes are formed and have a set, so they won't sag, I hang them in my light box for a couple of minutes to cure.

Edited by mark poulson