Painter1

Jacob Pneumatic Injection Press

I used the Jacobs Baits Pro Series Injection Press for the first time last evening and today.  I am very happy with it.  This is the link, in case you are not familiar;

http://stores.jacobsbaits.com/injection-press-pro-series/

I only fired up one side, but ran three (3) different colors through and it was flawless.  I made 4 cups of plastic per batch in the microwave and added it to the pre-heated reservoir.  I set the temp at 300 and it was rock steady.  

When the reservoir was empty the air pressure blew the nozzle clean and I made the next color.  All colors were clear or white and I had no discoloration from start to finish.  

This is an expensive system, but clearly the best I have used or found.  Making 50 to 100 baits in a batch is perfect for me and once the plastic is in the reservoir there is no smoke. 

• Like 1

Looks like a great little injection pot, but it is far from being an injection press and before anyone takes offense I am not knocking the product in any way but for the plastic industry in general, the name is mis-leading. An injection press is a machine that holds each plate of a mold, presses it together, injects the plastic, and then opens the mold and then closes it back to start the process over. That is where the name injection "press" comes from, it "presses" the mold together. There is no press with this machine.

I always assumed that drill press came from the similarity in presses and punches used in fabrication at the time of the patent.  1890 the earliest I found that refers to the invention as drill-press.  I always like those old schematics (like artwork).   Always interesting to see how terms evolve to different industries.

http://www.google.com/patents/US512355?pg=PA5&dq=drill-press&hl=en&sa=X&ei=718WU6N-g8-uAfmugLgO&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAQ

http://www.google.com/patents/US503153

http://www.google.com/patents/US439567?dq=drill-press&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OWEWU5XLGonTqgGaw4GoDQ&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA

Edited by Travis

Just like jacobs "press" it has a mechanical action to create pressure against a object. the mold for injection in this case. So the term "press" is more than fitting in this instance.

Back to jacobs. He has excellent craftsmanship. Painter that "press" should do you well for a long time to come.

The system does have a manual stirrer in each reservoir and it held the temps very well.  As Mike pointed out, this is not a high production setup, but it easy for me to use and I am happy with it so far.  

I had to replace a couple bolts that hold the guide pins.  I think they were bent in shipping.  

I will probably change the thumbscrews that stop vertical travel.  They get hot during use so I will look into something with a more heat resistant handle.

Baitjunky, if you notice I said for the plastic industry in general. Any time you say injection press and refering to a plastic machine be it hard or soft plastic then you're refering to a machine that holds a mold and opens and closes it. Google plastic injection press and see what you come up with. Like I said not knocking anyone's equippment, I personally think its a neat set up, but when referencing a plastic machine and you refer to it as an injection press, anyone that knows anything about them will be very confused, I guess for the novice you could reference a drill press and a plastic press but they are two very different creatures.

the handles that are used to stir the pot wont get any hotter than the injector on a shooting star (I have the shooting star) is the heat you are exposed to acceptable

I think I could tolerate turning a hot handle every few minutes vs. holding a hot injector every shot ..... im not the sharpest tool in the shed but it seems safer to me

with the Jacobs machine you gain the ability to shoot two separate colors at the same time  that would be great for different body and tail colors or shoot laminates

im not knocking the shooting star I love my machine it is  amazing I would recommend it to anyone but if I had the cash one of the Jacobs machines would be on its way to my house now

the handles that are used to stir the pot wont get any hotter than the injector on a shooting star (I have the shooting star) is the heat you are exposed to acceptable

I think I could tolerate turning a hot handle every few minutes vs. holding a hot injector every shot ..... im not the sharpest tool in the shed but it seems safer to me

with the Jacobs machine you gain the ability to shoot two separate colors at the same time  that would be great for different body and tail colors or shoot laminates

im not knocking the shooting star I love my machine it is  amazing I would recommend it to anyone but if I had the cash one of the Jacobs machines would be on its way to my house now

Respectfully,

I have more important requirements when injecting two-color baits .  Worrying about settling salt,sand, and glitter are not one of them. A contiuous,mechanical stirring system can't be beat! I use  two pairs of heat resistant gloves(on the injector held hand) when injecting mulitple ,12-15 cavity CNC molds that require lengthy time holding the two-color injector. That said,I will not consider a 4.5K injection machinge that does not have mechanical stirrers.

While I know you have never had one in your shop so you can never REALLY appreciate the quality of this machine. It has many many machined parts and good quality components. It's a pricey unit but in hand it just plain feels sturdy. Turning handles to mix is not a big deal. And the handles are not as hot as you might think. But the unit can be so don't be fooled you need gloves.

Edited by Frank

I want one ......

Maybe when I grow up

With all the money I spent lately if I bought that right nowthe wife would pack my stuff for me

I like the stirrers also on my shooting star even if I didn't sell baits I would still want to have it yo shoot my bsits it makes it so much easyer

While I know you have never had one in your shop so you can never REALLY appreciate the quality of this machine. It has many many machined parts and good quality components.

That said,I will not even consider a 4.5K injection machinge that does not have mechanical stirrers when heated plastisol is held in pots. You've admitted in the past you stay away from salted baits as much as possible. Just imagine heavy salt,sand and glitter in the mix w/out a mechanical stirrer :nono::eek:

I don't have to imagine I know. But you always make it sound like you NEED it but I don't because most of my baits are swim baits. Everything does not NEED to be automatic. That just adds cost that is not necessary in my eyes. I make thousands of baits by hand and no automation. Even this press is not automated. I keep an open mind and never think I know it all. We never stop learning, well some do but they know it all. This is a really nice piece of equipment and well made. But it's not for everyone. It does not matter how much it cost if it does not work for you.

• Like 1

I don't have to imagine I know. But you always make it sound like you NEED it but I don't because most of my baits are swim baits. Everything does not NEED to be automatic. That just adds cost that is not necessary in my eyes. I make thousands of baits by hand and no automation. Even this press is not automated. I keep an open mind and never think I know it all. We never stop learning, well some do but they know it all. This is a really nice piece of equipment and well made. But it's not for everyone. It does not matter how much it cost if it does not work for you.

Trying to communicate w/ you in a civil manner seems to be a waste of time since you love to turn my replies into a personal attack.  You da man!!!! OOH-RAH for Frank .

BTW- where's your website to draw in orders for all these 1,000's of baits you shoot- more then 99% of those on TU (they're your words). You're a legend in your own mind.LMAO!

I agree to disagree w/you!!

Edited for content

Edited by smallmouthaholic

Don't have anything to prove here considering the source. Just one word wholesale! Some of you guys might even have used them on the west coast. Never kiss and tell. Way to busy as it is. As for a website don't have one and never will.

• Like 1

Why never?  We have talked before and I am somewhat familiar with your business model, but why never on the website?  If nothing else you could have some pictures of some of your nonpropritary molds, and your mad scientists Jacob's injector, and a contact page.  I would think that it couldn't hurt in reaching towards the goal you said you wanted last time we spoke.  Just to let folks know what you do. 

Just have no time. I have to take time off to go fishing. Then customers get mad cause they did not get there baits. I have a daughter in law that might be interested in working the web site. But she has my grand children to watch and one on the way. When they are here with me they are a great help. But they live two and a half hours away. Maybe one day. But not soon. I could keep her busy on eBay stuff with remelts if I had time to pour them. I throw away so much plastic away cause I just don't have the room to store it. Plus swim bait sprues are not the best looking baits. Oh and if some one says do black that does not work either cause pearl shows in black. Some day.

Two-color,Swim-bait sprues make excellent,new swim-baits if-

1- you now how to adjust the colors and hardness of the used sprues

2- use them in a presto pot w/ stirrer so they are not overheated causing a un-usable color change

3- the tops are not thick, jet black

New tricks to plastisol coloring are discovered every year by those willing to experiment :halo: