Jaw

Brush Types

Just wondering what type brushes you guys think are best for your finish epoxy coat I've always just used the cheap craft brushes from Wal-Mart but recently have been trying better art brushes and the flex coat brushes also how do you clean them I've been using d.a. and just flushing them

I've used brushes of various quality, all with good results.  A finer, softer brush will put down a smoother coat, but Etex levels nicely.  I can't see a difference in the end result with anything I've tried.  Other epoxies may be more picky.  I clean with an aerosol epoxy stripper available at Wal-Mart.  I don't recall the brand.  Your brushes will be a lot easier to clean if you don't let the epoxy get near the base of the bristles.  It doesn't want to wash out nearly as easy, any will stiffen your brush over time.

Do your self a favor and go pick up some Testors model paint brushes. There are two sizes..really tiny and the larger. I read it here on TU a few weeks back and what a difference it has made. They are white handled with a chrome sleeve by the tip. Clean in denatured alcohol right after and there good to go. Michaels and HobbyLobby carry them. They are perfect for this application.

I use inexpensive artist's brushes with nylon bristles from Michaels or elsewhere, the flat ones about 1/4" wide.  I clean them energetically in lacquer thinner after use and they last for years.  With any type brush, epoxy eventually builds up in the base of the bristles and makes them too stiff to be ideal for application,  but for a couple of bucks per brush, it's not really an issue.  An artist's brush has fine bristles that tend to burst all the bubbles in the epoxy as you apply it.  I don't recommend artist brushes with natural hair.  Most of them are too soft and they also shed the occasional hair onto your lures.  Nylon works perfect for me.

This is what I use  http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/abs/abs51-i-3/8.htm  I have been on one brush for 2 years now.  Like most hair brushes you won't get brush strokes in your epoxy but you can get a loose hair or 2.  Solve this problem by taking a pair of pliers and squeezing the metal that the hair is pinched in and then pull any loose hair out.  I clean mine with acetone.  After I clean mine with acetone I rack the brush over a 3/4" round copper pipe cleaner.  It makes your brush fluffy again and it takes out any loose hair and any epoxy that I may have not got cleaned out.

I use epoxy and apply it with a nylon bristle/cheap plastic handle brush. They are approx. 1/8-1/4" wide. I go to the local Dollar, Dollar General, Mighty Dollar stores and buy them in a pack 12 for $1.00.  Thats about $.08 apiece and just throw them away. They are good for pushing epoxy around and the bristles stay in them good. They don't like Lacquer thinner. The bristles extend about 1/4 inch into the plastic handle. Musky Glenn

Edited by Musky Glenn

I've tried many different brushes. Good brushes, cleaned in DA and re-used, down to the cheap ones. Hobby Lobby sells a plastic cylinder of 144 brushes (Art Blast) for $4.99 - around .04 cents/brush after tax. Mix epoxy, coat lure, snip bristle end off, save handle to mix the next batch.

• Like 1

Arkie that's exactly what I do. Cheap, no brush cleaning and break off the handle to mix the next batch.

I was wondering about those brushes, do the bristles come out? I have a fear of cheap brushes and fighting with bristles in the epoxy

Jerry

bassguy I haven't had any problems with the cheap brushes coming apart while in use. I always gently pull on the bristles to make sure they are sucure. I picked up this habit when I was using the cheap acid brushes from harbor freight. I did have problems with those coming apart.

• Like 1

I haven't had a problem with the bristles coming out but I usually give them a pull before I use them just in case been using them for awhile now just saw where some people are using the same brush multiple times and thought I would try something different especially if it pops more air bubbles

I'm working along the same lines as Arkie and Joe and others with the cheapy from WalMart. I just use the new brush to mix the D2T and apply then toss it when it sets up. Is there an advantage to using the stick from  the old brush as opposed to using the new one?

No with the cheap brushes when you are done applying your epoxy just cut the end off and use the stick for mixing your next batch of epoxy only advantage is you don't have to buy mixing sticks works for me just going to try a brush with more bristles to try to pop more air bubbles in my finish coat

I too prefer round stir sticks. I use plastic coffee stir sticks . They are perfect size for the job and usually free. One may be reused over and over. Just wipe the outside down with alcohol soaked paper towel. 

I too use the cheapie brushes  like Musky Glen uses. I clean them after use and wick away on dry paper towel anything that is left  to finish. Next, I store my brush in a quart  mason jar with appx 1-2 in of isopropyl alcohol in the jar . Then, cover with lid to keep alcohol from evaporating.  My brush is good as new and ready for next job. Same brush for two over two years now and still as good as day one. 

Bubbles and epoxy seem to go hand in hand. I give each of my baits a little blow job before sending  them on to the finishing wheel . This has really gone a long way in popping those pesty bastards off. Happy endings all around ever since.........

Edited by littleriver

I use Q-tip sticks to mix with.  I just cut off the cotton on one end and stir.  As far as airbubbles I never get them.  When I put my baits on my turning wheel I have a heat gun pointed at them from about 1.5 feet away.  It is just enough heat to pop all the bubbles and it levels out the epoxy perfectly.