The Dutchman

Plastic With Least Settlemement

MF has the least that I have tried. But if you put the plastic in a container that is easy to mix like a five gallon bucket with a flat bottom it takes no time to mix. Most jugs and bottles have corners that are hard to get to and mix. I use five gallon buckets with a screw on lid so I have access to the entire top. Mixing takes about 30 seconds at the most.

• Like 1

Settling and hardpacking are different animals. Almost all plastic will settle. Softner will be present at the top of the container."may or may not be visible" this is the reason we mix before use. A few hardpack were you get a nice thick layer of hardener actualy almost forming a solid at the bottom.

I'm not sure if Calhoun changed their formula or not but I received 2 drums yesterday and when I opened one of them to mix, there was no hardener packed at the bottom and it had a manufacture date of early April. Mixing around during shipping won't allow for hardener to re-suspend into the plastic.

Personally, I'm happy with Calhoun. I've gone through 8 drums or so and never had an issue.

Jeff

How often do you need to mix the plastic? I have been doing small batches (1 cup at a time) of one color then mixing up another color a half or an hour later. Can I just shake up the jug at the beginning or should a shake it up every time I pour out some more fresh plastic? I have been using MF Regular BTW.

My compulsive behavior wouldn't allow me NOT to shake the jug each time I poured into cups, but with MF it's not really necessary.  One really good shake each day before pouring should be more than enough. 

It also helps to know what type of container you're using.........pint, 1 gallon, 5 gallon? etc......

I bought the 5-gallon containers, then transferred them into 1 gallon jugs.  Makes it a lot easier to work with, regardless of the brand of plastic. 

• Like 1

I haven't made any baits in a while, and I just walked out and looked at all the different plastics I have on the shelf under the pouring bench.  The M-F (both regular and soft sinking) had settled out the least of any of them, and the Pour-A-Sol had settled out the most.  

I would note:  I only have the M-F in five gallon containers so those would show it the most.  

Edited by Bob La Londe